Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC News 24 and the news from Wexford...

Options
  • 08-12-2001 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

BBC News 24's headline story today is the news from Wexford regarding the discovery of refugees dead in a container.
    News 24 has done a good job, talking to Garda spokesman John Farrelly, to name but one, but two things stand out.

1. The lack of a national news channel (on radio or TV) from RTÉ (or any other outlet)

2. That we cant see News 24 cover this story, or any other news story reflecting Ireland on News 24 on any multi-channel platform.

Its really getting my goat ...... I'm in letter writing mood now....

Damien. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Sky News covered it as well, talking to a Garda too ;)

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Yes i saw the extensive coverage of this sad event on Sky News.
    I think the issue is Not that we cannot watch this event on BBC news24, but we CANNOT view it when we want to on our national television stations, be it RTE or TV3.
    Sky news has done an excellent job today covering the story, reporting "Live" from wexford at various intervals during the newscasts. However on RTE we were given the usual report plus a live insert. TV3 news I missed as...well i was watching Sky at the time. RTE news wants to run a 24 hour news service?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Personal preference draws me towards BBC News 24 over Sky News ( I was fortunate to look at Philip Hayton today, normally I only see him on BBC World on the connection at work :) ) But the lack of a rolling news channel from an Irish broadcaster, that I can immediately turn to for Irish news is extremely disappointing.

I pointed this out to an RTÉ official once, a few months ago, and he said that there is no further plans to introduce a "5 Live" type station from RTÉ, and that there would be no further expansion outside of the existing 4 national radio networks. (I'm an avid fan of 5 Live, BTW...)
    Plus, with RTÉ's perilous financial state, as far advanced as they were, plans for a TV news channel have evaporated, :(:(

TV3 this evening covered the whole Garda press conference live... albeit as it was on during their own news programme at 5:30pm.

As I said above, BBC News 24 is heaps better IMHO than Sky News, because of the resources available to them. Shane Harrison, who is normally BBC NI's Dublin correspondent showed up in Wexford. You get very good correspondents like Brian Barron, Phillipa Thomas et al, who compliment the BBC 1 news with appearances on News 24. Household names in the field, rather than in the newsroom; Sky News, I feel, do this arseways.
    Sky News is better than nothing, I do watch it in Dublin during the week on analog NTL, but I feel News 24 is streets ahead, and look forward to looking at it when I do get the chance! Like Today :)

But my main points are, I want choice outside of Sky News on my ROI subscription to Sky Digital, and I want my state broadcaster to cover news in this country, without having to rely on, dare I say, a "foreign" broadcaster for continuous news.

As I said above, BBC News 24 is heaps better IMHO than Sky News, because of the resources available to them. Shane Harrison, who is normally BBC NI's Dublin correspondent showed up in Wexford. You get very good correspondents like Brian Barron, Phillipa Thomas et al, who compliment the BBC 1 news with appearances on News 24. Household names in the field, rather than in the newsroom; Sky News, I feel, do this arseways.
    But my main points are, I want choice outside of Sky News on my ROI subscription to Sky Digital, and I want my state broadcaster to cover news in this country, without having to rely on, dare I say, a "foreign" broadcaster for continuous news.

Damo-I couldn't agree more.
    I often wonder what the main stumbling block to BBC 24 being available is-And as you have said before,it has to be SKY.
    Especially with the add revenue they get.
    The likes of Euronews and the ITN news channel make Sky news look good-plus theres no Irish adds there.
    What I would like to see on an Irish DTT service(when please God that starts) would be BBC News 24 (in the absence of an RTE equivalent) and NO SKY NEWS!
    Now that would be a good thing.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do you seriously think that DDT will ever happen here?

With RTE going to be on SKY within months the need for DTT will be minimal to say the least.

RTE staring a 24 hour News channel? :) Dont make me laugh. It would be awful.

• Advertisement

I dont see any problem with it been on in Ireland.

ITs on at night on BBC1 NI. I really dont see why it cant be on 24 hours.

Do you seriously think that DDT will ever happen here?
    With RTE going to be on SKY within months the need for DTT will be minimal to say the least.

Oh and everyone in the country is going to put up a mini dish then? Yea Right:rolleyes:

Lets close down all the local radiostations while we're at it,Today FM can go as well:rolleyes:
    Could we have a government inspector please whose main job it is , is to ensure that all competition is banned-soviet style:rolleyes: (mind you I think the ODTR, think thats their role...)

The market decides these things-If I'm offered an alternative at a competitive price and something that isIRISH Murdock can go and take a running Jump!
    mm

ITs on at night on BBC1 NI. I really dont see why it cant be on 24 hours.
    The arguments above still stand-BBC NEWS 24 is on at night,yes,but defacto as part of the BBC overnight programme schedule.This is no Threat to Sky news-considering how few overnight viewers are involved.

Sky wouldn't be so foolish as to Block News 24 overnight on BBC 1 and 2-that would be letting the cat out of the bag!
    They are not doing anything about , the News 24 interactive on digital text on BBC 1 and 2 either-because they Can't.
    mm

It would be no harm to close down certain Radio stations. One in wexford springs to mind.

I am so tired of hearing about the beacon niteclub.
    Do they own South east Radio or is it the other way round?

I am so tired of hearing about the beacon niteclub.
    LOL:D
    Locally here it's known as The Bacon - referring to all the em... fresh meat on offer:D No Turkey's but lots of Chicks!
    mm

• Advertisement

LOL Madman!

Cant say I have ever been in there myself!

From what I have heard you would be well advised to keep out of it. Its defenitlely a meat market.

Do they really need that much publicity? No other place in Ireland gets as much media coverage!

Advertisement