Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Chorus Broadcasting a digital signal?

Options
  • 07-12-2001 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

Hello, I think that I may be the last person in this country to be still using the Chorus television service.

I just want to know why my new Dolby Digital Amplifier that is connected to my DVD and to my TV will automatically support/detect DD and DTS when I play "The MAtrix" but if I watch any channels on Chorus (antenna on the roof, fancy digital box with a remote that promises web and email but doesnt deliver) it doesnt detect any sory of Dolby, not even Pro Logic.

Is it the case that:

A. My setup is wrong? see below.
    B. Chorus is not actually broadcasting in Digital?
    C. Maybe I havent watched a programme that is in DD yet?
    D. What channels would always be DD? (I tried the 3 movie channels)
    E. Is the SKY box any different?

My setup is as follows:

My TV is scart to chorus box.
    My DVD is scart to TV.
    My DVD is Optical to Sony HTK215 Amplifier
    My Chorus crapbox is "Red and white cable" to Sony Amplifier

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I would hope your comments of " what u idiot? u still with crapus?" would be kept to a minimum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

What you idiot? You still with Crapus? :) Sorry couldn't resist.

Does your TV report that a stereo signal is being received? If it does then the amp should have no problem converting that stereo signal into Dolby Prologic. Which speakers are active when you watch TV?

I doubt if you will ever get Dolby Digital from Chorus. Does the Chorus box even have a digital output (either optical or coaxial). You wont get Dolby Digital without one.

The only channels that are broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 on Sky are the widescreen movie channels. And even then you have to have the Sky + box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Cheers for that info. There is only the phono connectors on the chorus box.

I had a look at a sky box (its not the lastest box) and it too only has phono connectors. So i ask you, does anyone out there have a setup with sky that enables them to get dolby digital on any channels? if so what connectors is it using, optical or coaxial?

my tv is not of the digital detecting variety, it is widescreen and it does have scart connectors, but its my uderstanding that it doesnt need anything as long as the satelite/chorus/sky box shoots digital into the amp.

/me recons my chorus days are numbered if i cant sort some sort of proper digital signal from them...

(why did i sign up with the promise of digital TV 9 months ago if what i still have is cráppy pixelization on the sky channels?

on a side note, does anyone notice that sky teletext doesnt work with chorus anymore? it only loads up the sky betting page for some reason. is this happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The Sony Sky box has an optical output but according to other people it will not output a Dolby Digital signal.

I have the Sky + box and it has an optical output which does output Dolby Digital. I have it connected to a Sony HTK 475 with a standard optical lead.

The teletext service has been removed (apart from the betting) as Sky customers can now access digital teletext.

Shane is correct in his reply-unless you have a Sky plus digibox you will not have Dolby digital sound.
    It is extremely unlikely bordering on Complete certainty, that Chorus have never heard of Sky plus,not to mention Dolby digital.
    They find it hard to get to grips with 2 channel stereo or indeed colour pictures for that matter:mad:
    It may be some time before Sky digital will allow Dolby digital sound on standard Digiboxes:mad:

BTW if you have the sockets on both your DVD and Amp-I'd recommend using a digital co-axial lead for the Sound connection as it gives "purer" sound than the optical.

The only Sound field you are going to get is "pro-logic" really for the moment with either Sky or your TV-if it's crappus-be thankfull for what sound you do get:mad:
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

LOL, thanks a bunch lads. this is why i always come to boards first. by the end of the day i had my answer.

Incidentaly i did ring chorus with my query and was told someone would get back to me regarding my query, ill post the fun filled converstion that goes on later.

Now all i need to ask is, if i am a loyal chorus/multi channel customer of 4 plus years, and decide to disc my cable before the 12 month "digital" (digital my arse) upgrade contract runs out - do i have a snowballs chance in hell of getting out of said contact claiming that i have been a customer for 4 years?

as far as im concerened if they dont let me out im gonna annoy them with complaints about pixelization and poor sound and etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement