Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Lantern (FBI Keystroke logger)

Options
  • 06-12-2001 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭

This has been discussed on a couple of crypto/sec lists[1] for quite a while now, zdnet have finally caught up with the story:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20011205/tc/warning_we_know_what_you_re_typing_and_so_does_thefbi__1.html

Some comments:
    > The FBI
    >would want to guard against two other possibilities: Future antivirus
    >software detecting an installed ML, and future antivirus software
    >detecting an attempt to install ML.

There's a balancing act here: Do you risk your Trojan being discovered by
    McAfee and Symantec, or do you risk someone blabbing when you ask them to
    avoid blocking it, when the odds are they won't block it in the
    foreseeable future?

Given what I know of leaks to the media I wouldn't even think of
    approaching the AV companies about this.

Also the fact that Norton AV would make a killing when ppl don't trust the other 2.

1. "cryptography-request@wasabisystems.com" with a one-line message saying "subscribe" amongst others.

[edit]vbb borked my link[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Also the fact that Norton AV would make a killing when ppl don't trust the other 2

The other 2 being McAfee and Symantec? Isn't Norton Symantec's AV product?

Think this all started when someone at one of company's commented on the possibility of allowing FBI keyloggers through, hope for the company's sake that his day job isn't PR, it's not going to happen cause no-one would wnat the product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

anyone who relies on anti-virus software to protect against trojans or keyloggers (as long as they dont try to infect other files virus-style) needs their head examined anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Koopa
    anyone who relies on anti-virus software to protect against trojans or keyloggers (as long as they dont try to infect other files virus-style) needs their head examined anyway

Well the article indicates that the keylogger may most likely be distributed as trojans within email.
    Which I think is rather funny!
    Perhaps the FBI et. al. _encourage_ vulnerabilities in software
    so that they can slip in the back way :)
    hmm...

Well at least a virus scanner is better than nothing.
    Can't they check programmes for known virii/trojans before they will allow them run ?
    Havn't playes with scanners in a while, I forget what they do...

Mind you, there is little you can do to stop someone who can get physical access to your
    machine and has the funding and potential technical resourses of someone like the FBI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

how is the virus scanner going to know what to look for in a trojan?
    most virus scanners find viruses which are not in their database only because the viruses try to copy bits of themselves onto other files, and get caught doing it
    that tactic doesnt even work for all viruses, virus scanners rely heavily on their internet databases of virus to be up to date.. its useless to rely on a virus scanner to protect you vs a "non-generic" trojan/virus

Advertisement