Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licensing............

Options
  • 05-12-2001 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

As most of you know I'm soon trading my vroom vroom for a motorbike :). I have a full B-class licence. Im assuming I can't just go get a full A-class without doing a test of some sort, or can I....... :) surelly I don't have to do a theory test again. Anyone done this before?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

allow me to be one of the first people to say "good man yourself.. another biker on the roads!"

I got my test date there recently for a class A but I'm gonna get it moved back a few months cos I'm upgrading to a 650 at the start of 2002. In case u dont know, you cant do a cat A test on anything smaller than a 250cc.

I would imagine you'll more than likely have to do the whole thing again, theory & practical. From what I've heard and seen, the test couldnt be much easier, as long as u remember to do basic stuff like looking over ure shoulder when changing lanes and hand signals are important too.

Your best bet is probably to phone a test centre. At least that way u'll get a quick straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I got a prov. application there and it says a few things:-

'In what categories may I apply for a first[/b] provisional licence:
    • (All A's), B, M, W, without any previous road experience,
    • (All C's) providing you already hold a full licence in category B,
    • (All D's) providing you already hold a full licence in category D.'

This implies above that because I have a full B licence that I do not need to apply for a (first, anyway) provisional in A, M or W.

I got a full licence application too and it says on the 'who may apply' bit:

'Holders of a full driving licence in one category who wish to have another category added to the licence, for which a test is not required'.

I would assume this refers to work vehicles and towing trailers, but maybe category M too (Bikes under 50cc). So, from these I get - I do not need a first provisional for Cat. A(ie don't have to do a theory test - makes sense), but I do need to do a test. WTF do I have to do? I'm gonna ring them, nothing else for it.

Advertisement