Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions

Options
  • 03-12-2001 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Firstly, the best type of cable to use is RG6 sat cable. you would be better of to try to avoid having any breaks in the cable if possible.between the output of the digi box and the tv-link(this is what sky call the gadget used for changing from one station to another from another room) This Tv- link will only work if there are no breaks in the cable, unless of course you are using a boster box which is capable of splitting a digital signal To my knowledge these boster boxes are aroung £40.00. Also the tv-link cost £29.00 on its own and £40.00 with a second remote control.

Secondly, it is possible to connect up two digi boxes to one mini dish but you will hve a problem with a viewing card as the mirrow system which sky have in place in the U.K. is currently not available in the ROI.

Firstly, the best type of cable to use is RG6 sat cable. you would be better of to try to avoid having any breaks in the cable if possible.between the output of the digi box and the tv-link(this is what sky call the gadget used for changing from one station to another from another room) This Tv- link will only work if there are no breaks in the cable, unless of course you are using a boster box which is capable of splitting a digital signal To my knowledge these boster boxes are aroung £40.00. Also the tv-link cost £29.00 on its own and £40.00 with a second remote control.

Secondly, it is possible to connect up two digi boxes to one mini dish but you will hve a problem with a viewing card as the mirrow system which sky have in place in the U.K. is currently not available in the ROI.

I

I have enclosed

I have

I have enclosed instructions for installing the

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Another Newbie Question - :)

Which is the better Digibox - Panasonic or Pace ?????

Recommendations ??

Another Newbie Question -:)

Which Digibox is better - Panasonic or Pace ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I'll try to reply only once :)

Sky have said that they will be introducing the mirror subscription here in the first quarter of next year, so you will be able to watch seperate digital channels on two TV's for about £12 a month. You can feed up to 4 standard boxes from one dish. Of course you will have to get a second digibox. These cost £200 Stg from Sky but you can find them available at online auctions for much less.

At the moment you can very easily connect up two TV's to one digibox which will allow you to watch the same digital channel on both TV's. If you are putting up an aerial for the Irish Channels this cable will also feed the Irish channels to the second TV. So you would then have five channels tuned in on your second TV,
    RTE 1
    Net 2
    TV 3
    TG 4
    Sky Digital

The Panasonic box is regarded to be the best, but all the boxes that I have seen have appeared to operate at much the same speed as each other.

Plus in about four months you will have the irish channels on the digibox anyway.
    usually you can buy a sometimes new digibox on QXL.com or ebay for around £130 irish-you will be bidding in sterling though.
    If you get a mirror Sub-you will be giving Sky around £600 per year including the cost of the other sub, if you take their full service-around £400 or so for the family pack.

Question for Shane...
    Has the record function on your Sky plus box been activated yet?
    or do you have to wait for the mirror sub to be launched here?
    I might get a second hand sky plus box and sell my pace (£130) and if I got the plus box for another £100 on top , it would be worth it to me to try it out for a year-presumably , if after a few months, that box can revert back to one sub and no plus features?
    I like trying new things;)
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi, Take a look at

http://irelands-satellite.safeshopper.com/faq.htm?615

hope this helps

Originally posted by daveirl
    Well I hope nobody gets annoyed with these questions if they've been asked a million times before but I had a look at the FAQ and it didn't really answer them so here goes:

OK getting Sky Digital instead of what I already have which is Chorus (not Chorus digital the Chorus Multichannel that I've had for about 10 years) At the moment I have 2 chorus decoders in 2 rooms about 10m apart.

OK so I'm only getting one Digibox to begin with because you can't have 2 right?

Can't I just connect the Digibox to two TV's?

Do I use ordinary Co-Ax?

I'll need one of those things for transmitting the remote control signal between rooms yeah?

Will there ever be a way I can have one Mini Dish feeding two Digiboxes?

Will I have to pay full subscriptions on both?

Again sorry if these questions have already been answered!

Thanks

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sky Digi Kid
    Firstly, the best type of cable to use is RG6 sat cable.

. Also the tv-link cost £29.00 on its own and £40.00 with a second remote control.

Wrong CT100 is the best cable to use, we sell both tv link and remote for £29

www.irelands-satellite.com

Thanks Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Or CT125 if your dish is a long way from the digibox.

Panasonic is the best, and is the fastest box around. The DSB30 has one of the most sensitive tuners, while the DSB31 is a tiny bit faster. Having a good tuner doesn't matter in Ireland/UK as the footprints are good here, but it does matter if you want to use it elsewhere in Europe.

Anyone can buy a Sky+ box, and get Sky to repair their card to the new box, but Sky will not enable the '+' features. That means that you can't record or pause tv, but you do get dolby digital 5.1 output, and a new box that is quite fast. ;)

Brendan

Hey Madman,

The Sky + functionality is not yet activated but Sky have said that it will not be too long more. The Dolby Digital is working perfectly and it blows the socks off Pro Logic. The only thing that the Sky + is missing is that you cannot set something to Autoview in the Planner so you can't get it to change channels. This is because with the full functionality of Sky + is does not matter what channel you are watching, it will use the second tuner to do the recording.

As soon as I get the full functionality up and running I will let ye know (well if I can tear myself away from the TV)...

Cheers
    Shane

Originally posted by bkehoe
    Or CT125 if your dish is a long way from the digibox.

Anyone can buy a Sky+ box, and get Sky to repair their card to the new box, but Sky will not enable the '+' features. That means that you can't record or pause tv, but you do get dolby digital 5.1 output, and a new box that is quite fast. ;)

Brendan

Good point Brendan , CT125 is excellent. Where is everybody buying the Sky + boxes and how do they get away with not paying the £10 per month? Pace have declined to sell me any.

Regards Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Sky+ boxes can be bought, but you cant use them in Ireland and if any1 else says otherwise, i want video proof to see it.

:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Will other manufactureres start making Sky+ boxes soon, like Panasonic, Grundig, etc?

On the same idea, why aren't there Sky digiboxes from Nokia, Echostar, Humax, etc? Are they not allowed by Sky or do they have no interest in the market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MrAnarchy

A quick question in regard to the mirror system.
    If you have 2 decoders in the same household it is possible to get a mirror card .
    How do Sky ensure that you dont move one of the decoders to a different residence and use the mirror card there ?
    I presume the cards are just matched to the box so theoretically no matter where the box goes it should be operational.
    Is there some kind of link between the 2 or more boxes ?

Tony, I got the Sky + box in the UK and brought it back here myself. A local installer was able to change the LNB for me. I don't have to pay the extra £10 as the + functionality is not on yet.

Chernobyl, nobody has claimed to have the Sky + recording functionality here yet.

MrAnarchy, in order to avail of the mirror subsciption both of the digiboxes will have to be connected to the same phoneline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    in order to avail of the mirror subsciption both of the digiboxes will have to be connected to the same phoneline.
    surely not if you buy the second digibox from someone other than Sky ie.second hand

I do not think it matters where you get the second box from. If you are using the mirror sub, Sky need to be able to verify that you are using the two boxes at the one address. I expect that connection to the phoneline is the only way to do this.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ShaneOC:
    I do not think it matters where you get the second box from. If you are using the mirror sub, Sky need to be able to verify that you are using the two boxes at the one address. I expect that connection to the phoneline is the only way to do this.
    Actually that makes perfect sense, as in theory, if Sky did not do that , we could all be arranging cut price full sky packages for our friends and neighbours!
    mm

Question - on the Sky demo channel I can see the "Personal Planner" option on the TV Guide menu

Why cannot I see this option on my digibox ? - Is it because I am just a new installation or is it the software in the box (Panasonic ??) or is not availabel on the EPG in ROI ?

You've got the old software. Sky have been auto updating some digiboxes to the latest version (EPG 2.8) recently, so you'll just have to wait. Only one of my boxes got the update (a DSB31; the other 2 DSB31s and an old Pace still have the old version 2.7.bb9, and forced updates don't help).

Brendan

BTW, for a mirror sub, both boxes have to be connected to the same phoneline.

Originally posted by Couch Potato
    Question - on the Sky demo channel I can see the "Personal Planner" option on the TV Guide menu

Why cannot I see this option on my digibox ? - Is it because I am just a new installation or is it the software in the box (Panasonic ??) or is not availabel on the EPG in ROI ?

Thanks Brendan.

Another question of I may !!!

What number does the Digibox ring when it goes "on-line" ??? Is it a freephone number from ROI ??

Yep, its a freephone number.

Brendan

Yep, its a freephone number.

Brendan

Thanks Again Brendan !!!

Did I read somewhere on another thread that there is a way of forcing the digibox to download the latest version of the EPG software ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BTW, for a mirror sub, both boxes have to be connected to the same phoneline.
    so that would mean 4 lines going into one phone connection. no thanks

Advertisement