Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to protect Win98SE on a LAN?

Options
  • 01-12-2001 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how to protect a computer that's running Win98SE on a LAN with internet access from people looking at your hard drive- and generally- on both a Peer2Peer and Clent/Server LAN, without buying firewall software or maybe using free firewall or other software??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

easy answer: turn off file sharing on your partitions.

better answer: download "tiny personal firewall", best firewall i've ever used and set it so incoming connections are disabled... you get to yoink other ppls files but they dont get to take yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by tomo
    But if you really want to secure the os go out side to the front of your house rip you phone cable from the wall and make sure you cut your self off from the swicth box that should secure S.E for a week or two when the conflicts come just do a selective startup and pray.

WTF????

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by tomo
    I think what you are on about is some lame ass kid like bubbles scanning your network with a netbios scanner like legion what not simple way around this put a password on each drive that should sort your problems out. But if you really want to secure the os go out side to the front of your house rip you phone cable from the wall and make sure you cut your self off from the swicth box that should secure S.E for a week or two when the conflicts come just do a selective startup and pray.

Hehe :). When tested by security experts, windows NT was given a rating of 4 out of 10 for secureness if it was turned off and unplugged from the phone jack. Seriously. They were deadly serious, and win98se is worse :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

4 out of 10 for "secureness" ?

URL? I've heard of a measurement of security (a 'securaton'), but I've never actually read about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Hi

first thing is turn off shareing printers etc you can down a fireall
    for home use for free from [URL=http://]www.zonealarm.com[/URL] try it out it sould help

Cheers
    Corkey

• Advertisement
Advertisement