Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3, UTV and Channel 4 in talks with Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

This is indeed good news. TV3 is not available in quite a number of areas here around Cork. Especially in areas serviced by South Coast Community TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, in fairness, it wasn't going to be long before TV3 and Sky started talking to each other, after last weeks events.

It'll be interesting to see if TV3 look for planning permission for a dish, or join up with RTÉ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I'd imagine they'd use RTE's facilities. It wouldn't be very cost effective to have their own dish, and don't RTE already handle their transmissions ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    I'd imagine they'd use RTE's facilities. It wouldn't be very cost effective to have their own dish, and don't RTE already handle their transmissions ?

Yes, TV3 is linked digitally to RTÉ HQ as RTÉ are responsible for terrestrial broadcasts of TV3. I do hope something is sorted out.

Great news about UTV and C4 also. But how long do you think we'll have to wait? Can we expect either before Christmas?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marconi

RTE's transmission network is currently up for sale and soon the broadcaster won't be involved in that side of the business. The new company will look after TV3's transmitters as well as RTE's and could possibly also provide a satellite uplink facility for TV3. RTE could also carry TV3's signals on their new dish, but as TV3 seem to have a number of dishes themselves in Ballymount, they might feel it'd be more prudent to do the uplinking themselves. It's all about costs, security, dependabilty and legalities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Here's an idea - Why don't UTV and Channel 4 make themselves available on Sky Digital in the Republic, but with regional ad variations for the south ?

Channel 4 already have variations in Britain with exactly the same programmes, but area specific ad breaks. With one more they could really target their ads at the Republic. And UTV could do likewise. Sky One and Sky News already do it, so it must be worth their while.

If anywhere in the Sky Digital footprint is suitable for seperate advertising it's got to be the ROI, with a seperate currency etc.

And for that matter, RTE could do specific advertising for Northern Ireland.

Maybe this is the reason for the delay.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Saw an add on RTE recently, for Christmas shopping in Derry!
    First time I've seen them dip North.
    It augers well-when you see them going on an attack.
    they know that reception of UTV and CH4 will be widespread in ROI b4 the end of next year (I hope)
    mm

Advertisement