Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricon: movie and scifi showings

Options
  • 23-11-2001 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Tricon is the Science-Fiction convention with a difference. It is an entirely student run event, and it will be held in the University of Limerick from Friday the 30th of November to Sunday the 2nd of December. There are going to be a variety of different events;

Manga Entertainment, will be present and they will be screening new releases: ‘Blood: The Last Vampire’, ‘The End of Evangelion’ as well as the classic ‘Akira’.
    We will also show Samurai X and Dragon Half from ADVision

Star Trek and Buffy. There will be screenings of the first four episodes of the new Star Trek series, Enterprise and the first four episodes of the new season of Buffy, never before seen here!

Video Games. There will be a Dreamcast gaming tournament, with the as yet unreleased Virtua Tennis 2. It’s winner take all, if you win the tournament, you walk away with the console and game! There will be a retro gaming tournament also, featuring machines like the Spectrum, SNES and Megadrive.

Roleplay Gaming. Expect an array of different roleplay games such as Star Wars, Stargate, Vampire the Masquerade, Fallout and Cyberpunk.

Plus there will be: classic Science Fiction films such as ‘Dr. Strangelove’, Irish comic book creators and a Sci-Fi version of the Weakest Link, on the Friday night Galway band Eskimo will be playing and furthermore, there will a LAN party running that weekend. If you’re interested in the LAN, contact Cian at damocles@skynet.ie Additional events are yet to be confirmed.

All are welcome!

Tickets for the weekend are £5 and if you’re interested in coming or have any queries, contact Barry Cronin on ultricon@hotmail.com or check out the Tricon website on http://tricon.csn.ul.ie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Out of interest, are Manga Video providing you with subtitled or dubbed versions of EoE et al, and are they film stock or just DVD/VHS copies?

If they've got subbed film stock of EoE I may have to have a little chat with them... ;)

(Dragon Half rules by the way, but if you've got any serious fantasy nutters there you'll probably want to keep them away from it. There's significant danger of turning them into gibbering wrecks.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nosmirc

Manga Entertainment only have one coly of End of Eva (It's not on general release yet). To my knowledge it is dubbed.
    Dragon half does kick ass, and that is subbed.

Are you coming by the way?

Can't I'm afraid - I'm in England and amn't coming back till Christmas... :( All the best with it though, it's great to see stuff happening in Irish fandom at long last!

Shame EoE is dubbed. I still think it's a crime to overdub actresses as superb as Megumi Ogata and Megumi Hayashibara... Ah well :)

Should you ever want a subbed copy to show, drop me a line - I think I can source copies off an SVHS master. I dunno what your policy on showing fansubs is, but the UK conventions have been doing it without any bother for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nosmirc

I'm sorry to hear that. I prefer subbed myself, but I think it would be unwise to show a fan sub, or anything unoffical as a rep form Manga itslef is coming. Thank you for the offer though.
    We are showing Akira, Dragon Half, and Sakura Wars in a subbed format though.

I see your point regarding the Mangle Video rep. I think we've got away with it at some UK cons, but that said in general dedicated anime cons have got higher quality copies of the movies on hand than the licensing companies themselves do, so they don't exactly have much in the way of leverage.... :)

(Next few conventions are going to be interesting, as plans are afoot to run digital video rooms with DivX gear in them rather than VHS players...!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement