Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southcaost news!

Options
  • 22-11-2001 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT FOR COMMUNITY DIGITAL TV LICENCE BID

Support for SCTV’s digital licence application to the telecoms regulator received an international boost with news of the granting of a national digital licence by the Icelandic telecommunications regulatory authority, the post and Telecom administration to Icelandmiddel. Issued on 20th August last, Southcoast obtained the full translation of the licence in recent days.
    Southcoast was quick to underline the importance of the Icelandic decision. “Iceland’s ERC (European Radiocommunications Committee) ratification has not prevented its regulator from granting a licence on the 11-7 to 12.5 GHz waveband. In the consultation document issued by the Irish regulator, Etain Doyle (ODTR), doubts were expressed as to whether the granting of a digital tv licence to Southcoast might affect Ireland’s future ratification of the ERC. The issuing of a licence by Iceland to operate at the same frequency, using the same system as proposed by Southcoast should certainly allay any doubts the ODTR might have,” commented SCTV chairman John Hurley.
    Ironically representatives from Iceland visited Southcoast’s Carrigaline HQ last year to view its technology, look at the test results and to seek general and technical advice before making their application. Unlike Ireland where Southcoast’s digital licence remains under review, Iceland has completed the process in under a year.
    Hot on the heels of the Icelandic licence decision, America’s telecommunications regulator, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), counterpart to the ODTR, concluded that the provision of digital television services by way of MDS, the system proposed by Southcoast, does not interfere with satellite broadcasting on the 12 GHz frequency.
    With the ODTR’s consultation review due to conclude on Friday 9th November, these developments occur at a crucial period in Souhcoast’s digital licence application process.
    Indirectly addressing concerns raised by the regulator in her consultation document, raising the issues of possible satellite interference and a potential conflict with Ireland’s ERC ratification, these international developments clear the way for the regulator to respond positively to Southcoast’s digital television licence application.

Comments

Hmmmm.
    I raise my hat to to the weak noises of more competition rising from the ashes here.....

However-The problem of interference with Sky is Serious in Ireland-NOT in Iceland,a Country where the local television service Closes down for the whole of Sunday.

I say serious because, if it does interfere,it will affect 1000's.

I presume that line of sight issues will crop up again as is always the case with mmds.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

I got the info off the carrigdhoun newspaper.
    As for my opinion they havent done much (southcoast) cause their website has not been updated for a year.

Advertisement