Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Green Horn!

Options
  • 22-11-2001 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've been looking at this forum as I'm interested in getting Sky Digital installed soon. I'm currently on NTL's MMDS system in Galway. My questions are...
    What channels can I receive in Galway? (I see ITV is becoming available soon - BBC1/2 NI?, Channel 4?)

What is the cost of the basic package?

Is it possible to have it on more than 1 TV in the house?

Would I still need my aerial to get RTE1, N2, TV3, TG4?

What in general is the service like, tech support etc?

When I get the system instsalled do I need a card from Sky to run it? - what's this talk about a BBC card from BT?

Sorry for all the questions everyone but I have to start somewhere!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by northwest
    I've been looking at this forum as I'm interested in getting Sky Digital installed soon. I'm currently on NTL's MMDS system in Galway. My questions are...

What channels can I receive in Galway? (I see ITV is becoming available soon - BBC1/2 NI?, Channel 4?)

Hi there, it doesn't matter what part of the country you are in, all channels are avaiable ROI-wide, unlike Chorus or NTL. Currently available are BBC 1 NI, BBC 2 NI. UTV should appear in the channel line up soon, but it is only available in a hidden section of the Sky digibox (has to be manually tuned in) Channels 4 and 5 are not available.

What is the cost of the basic package?

£20 p/m roughly (€25.40) rising to £40 for nearly every channel sport and films included.

Is it possible to have it on more than 1 TV in the house?

No, only one digibox is supplied, but if you have other TV's, you can tune into the same channel as the main TV, with the right set-up

Would I still need my aerial to get RTE1, N2, TV3, TG4?

Yes, no announcment yet on these channels on Sky Digital yet. So the aerial it is for the mo.

What in general is the service like, tech support etc?

Never had to ring them up since getting the card setup, but they are all nice wee Scottish lads and lassies :)

When I get the system instsalled do I need a card from Sky to run it? - what's this talk about a BBC card from BT?

Yes, you need a Sky card in your digibox to see your subscribed channels. The BBC Card is used to look at Free to Air (FTA) stuff not available to Irish subscribers. There's lots on this in other threads.

Sorry for all the questions everyone but I have to start somewhere!

No worries, my pleasure! Maybe there should be a sticky for newbies to Sky Digital.... just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

And a very good thought it is too Damo.

There's lots of info about Digital satellite, cable and many other aspects of broadcasting in Ireland on the ICDG site, so something that would direct people to

http://icdg.tvfromireland.com/

Advertisement