Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best package??

Options
  • 21-11-2001 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My parents have recently decided to get digital tv. With so many packages and deals currently around I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on which package/deal to get. Any advice will be much apreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Firstly are we talking about NTL, Chorus or SKY digital. If it's SKY, then welcome to the world of real television.

You are right, there are numerous packages to choose from but it really comes down to your own personal choice of what you want to watch, that's one of the best things about SKY. What I did was just picked the basic 'familly pack' first and when I got tired of that I just added on the Movies and now that the winter is in I have just added on the Sports channels.

Of course another thing to consider is how much you are willing to pay but at the moment I think the full Sky Digital package is great value and I am sure loads would agree.

Well-The only system worth talking about at the moment is Sky-Their family pack is £21 per month or aprox £250 per year.
    If you want movies and sports-add another £250 p.a onto that.
    YES thats right after two years with the whole lot-You will have given them roughly £1000!
    It's great value though- 100's of channels-more movie repeats to shake a stick at-so many in fact you will be tempted to buy their box office films at £4.33 or so each a night-do that say 3 times a week and you'll have spent closer to £1500 in 2yrs:rolleyes:

Having said that-I Do recommend it for anyone with the Brass,as digital television is just great-especially,interactive stuff-like the BBC's latest news active service and,the Big Brother stuff during the summer.
    mm
    P.s if you live in D24/16 or are prepared to move there - you could check out NTL's Godigital package-(as costly as Sky as you have to pay for Analogue as well)
    Also ; one important thing to remember , with Digital-the set top box that you will use to view it brings the extra channels to one tv only-You can wire up other tv's in the house to it-but you can only watch one channel at a time.
    Sky do offer a "Mirror" subscription for another box-but you clock up another £150 or so on top of the above p.a for that.

I'm feeling so positive about Sky's charges today:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Sky are not offering the mirror package over here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ronanf

I have been a Sky Digital subscriber for about 2 months now and I am very impressed with the service provided. I subscribed to the Family Pack and Sports package.

The biggest problem I have is with the lack of terrestrial channels on Sky, I am still paying NTL which means I am paying nearly 50 quid per month for TV!

When, as seems to be happening, RTE and ITV go on digital, I'll tell NTL where to jump saving myself a few pound every month. NTLs digital service seems pretty lame (approx 35 extra channels, all but 2 available on Sky) and I'm not sure if it will ever offer online banking, betting etc. Come to think of it, anyone know when Sky will offer this in ROI?

- ronanf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 roy

According to sky interactive services will be available to customers in Ireland in the new year. We'll wait and see.

• Advertisement

Sky are not offering the mirror package over here yet.
    Don't worry-they will!

Don't get me wrong-BTW-I love the service provided by Sky-At the moment, it is second to none :)
    What I am getting at really, is theres no real competition yet in the Digital tv marketplace in the Republic of Ireland-and untill there is-Sky can charge what they like-simple economics-But I have noticed a few grumblings about their pricing on the digital spy forum lately.

And Garfield-I'm worried also about your inheritence!
    Take even 15 years of a full Sky sub-throw in lots of pay per view,compound the interest and we're talking a sports car here:D
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Garfield

Cheers for the advice lads, hopefully I will have digital tv within the next week or so. Thanks again. ;)

Advertisement