Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Wireless Internet?

Options
  • 21-11-2001 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I know this is very hopeful but .....

A Chorus salesman called recently selling special deals. I told him I would only sign up if he was able to offer an always-on Internet connection (cruel I know). Cable isn't an option in my part of Cork but MMDS is so it would have to be wireless internet.

To my great surprise he said it would be available in 4 months.

This would be great and I expressed my extreme sceptism to the salesman but he said the techies gave him the date....

If anyone else is approached by Chorus please ask when they intend to launch an always-on Internet service and we can see if there is a consistent reality out there in Chorus land.

<fantasy mode on>
    Wouldn't it be great if this were true and Chorus could deliver a half decent service? Eircom would be gone forever....

Comments

Cableskeptic,
    I was being told by Chorus, for two whole years that Digital mmds was coming (I'm presuming you have to have that service available b4 you get the internet from them).

Nearly a year ago I deserted them-Their transmitter on Slieve Bui, near me must be falling down with rust now at this stage.

So thats almost three years now and still no digital in the area for the VERY few that still have Chorus analogue around here.

You won't be seeing that man again-and if you do , you'll just get the same old Garbage:mad:
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I had the wireless digital service from Chorus. & it's CRAP . I now have Sky Digital. Far better service. I only availed of Chorus's service because of the promise of high speed internet access. But don't hold your breath. The installer told me that they(Chorus) didn't have the money to buy the necessary equipment to provide the service (as they were out of money, & were hoping for a new overdraft from the bank)!
    & I know this is true as I have a relation working for Chorus.
    If you want my advice, steer well clear of them. The way things are going, with the probability that RTE will be on SKY in the future, the likelyhood of a long term future for Chorus is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by cableskeptic
    I know this is very hopeful but .....

A Chorus salesman called recently selling special deals. I told him I would only sign up if he was able to offer an always-on Internet connection (cruel I know). Cable isn't an option in my part of Cork but MMDS is so it would have to be wireless internet.

To my great surprise he said it would be available in 4 months.

Ah yes, the Chorus salesman promising the earth.

I was at my car in the driveway when this man approached an asked me if I would be interested in a quality television service. I procedeed to tell him exactly what I thought of Chorus and their alleged customer service and that I would gladly change to a better service. It was then I noticed he was wearing a Chorus t-shirt. :eek:

He said that he could promise a quality digital service with cheap phone calls "in the near future". And when, I asked him, would the high speed internet access be available, he said early in the New Year. Great, I thought.

The problem was that this was Novemeber 1999...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ELITESAT

the truth is that the lucent local lop phone that chorus are using has an effectif range of about 10 clicks from the main transmit point and after that line power drops and as far as internet access to make a good connection for hi speed you need to have only 1 customer in 10 on the phone at the one time other wise the transfer rate drops to appox 1.2Kb/ sec this is not tested yet cause they dont have enough customers HA HA HA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

Sorry? I don't understand what does "10 clicks from the nearest transmit point" means??? Could you explain please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ELITESAT

10 KILOMETRES

Advertisement