Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter

Options
  • 19-11-2001 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm not quite sure which forum this really fits in, but here will do. For those of you interested in maths, music and art (the thread title is a real giveaway, isn't it? ;o), I'd recommend checking out this book. I have not yet finished it, but have been finding it very difficult to put down. It's fascinating stuff. All about formal systems and tying together Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, Bach's music and Escher's art. Go, read.

Cian

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, i saw that in easons ages back. i was going to buy it, but then decided that £20 worth of heineken would be nicer :)

i might ask for it for christmas heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Heh, is it shelved under the 'popular science' section or is this actually a proper book by Hofstadter?

The Golden Braid eh... here, does this book mention Mozart and Hermann Hesse's book Steppenwolf?

Advertisement