Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paintings of Bedrooms

Options
  • 17-11-2001 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for paintings/pictures of artists bedrooms/studios (drawn/painted by themselves).

I'm having trouble finding any other than Van Gogh's Bedroom at Arles - any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Well, there's 'The Artist's Bedroom' by Egon Schiele - parshly a homage to Van Gogh's painting. Not sure of Piet mondrian didn't do it either.

Pierre Bonnard painted his apartment in Southern France a lot, including his bedroom and bathroom.

I'll probably be able to think of more later.

Why are you looking for these? Are you 'Monkey' on thumped.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I am Monkey from Thumped and I'm after these images because i am an art student who is dealing with the theme of "My Own Space" (which is my bedroom/studio) at the minute and would like to see how other artists have painted bedrooms/studios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Dunno if he did any paintings of it (certainly he did many of rooms), but Francis Bacon's studio is pretty renowned (for being a complete mess). It shouldn't be too hard to find some photos of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Yeah, i've seen the Bacon studio but I'm more interested in the artist's aproach to painting their studio than the space itself, thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Well, in that case, Velasquez's Las Meninas would be a classic painting depicting an artist's studio.

Piet Mondrian not so much painted his studio/bedroom in Paris as turned his space into a 3-dimensional version of his paintings (the reverse of what you're looking for, perhaps!).

Also, Monet painted his own space outside his house in those huge (if dull) paintings of water lillies.

Check out Gregor Schneider also. He's a german artist who is continually changing the interior of his house into a living nightmare (go here).

• Advertisement
Advertisement