Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostworld... When/where?

Options
  • 13-11-2001 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

With all this Harry Potter hipe cinema's don't know what otehr films they will be showing from friday...
    Outside Forbidden PLanet they have a poster stating that "Ghostworld" starts this friday 16th.... But thats the only advert i have seen. Rang the screen and they arn't sure.... Anyone know for sure when it begins. THis friday or next??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Apparently, it is being released on the 16th. I can't see it hitting any cinema that's also showing Harry Potter, so if the screen don't know what's happening with it - I dunno.

Best bet is to wait till the 16th, and then visit wow.ie's cinema section. That should list where it's being shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Apparently, it is being released on the 16th. I can't see it hitting any cinema that's also showing Harry Potter, so if the screen don't know what's happening with it - I dunno.

Best bet is to wait till the 16th, and then visit wow.ie's cinema section. That should list where it's being shown.

Wasn't going to reply to this one but I just had to say eh? Why wouldn't it show in a cinema thats also showing harry potter exactly???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

The screen never know what they will be showing till the day before, and sometimes not even then. Decision is made higher up in film house on abbey st so you could try give them a ring. I dont think they would be very helpfull though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Baz_
    Wasn't going to reply to this one but I just had to say eh? Why wouldn't it show in a cinema thats also showing harry potter exactly???
    Read back.
    I never said it wouldn't. I just said that I can't see it hitting cinemas that are showing Harry Potter. In my local UCI, they're dedicating FIVE (of ten) screens to the Harry Potter movie. This doesn't leave much room for new releases as well as current favourites.

Perhaps I'll be wrong though, I really want to see Ghostworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

It's on at The Screen. Went to see it yesterday. Blueshammer totally, like, rawk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

It nearly goes without saying ,but Kark folk can find it at the Kino
    , Gate isnt showing it , not sure about any others , but it was slapped up on the kino wall today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

saw it, found it curiously unengaging. like with disco pigs, in fleshing it out from its original source i think they've revealed things that should have been left hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I saw it in the screen 2nite.
    I was the oppostie of your description Sweet Bird...
    curiously unengaging
    I found it quit engaging... in a warped way I suppose.
    Thora H... is quite good as is Steve Buschemi.

But the Big news is....

I WAS INTERVIEWED BY THE YELLOW MIKE FOR RATTLEBAG:p

as I left the cinema. I'll be on Rattlebag, Radio 1, 2.45pm Monday. I'm the guy who says Thora is a "cynic" and I liked in her in American Beauty etc...

I'll post it up if I remember to record the thang.

Oh & BTW- its a good film- Go see it if you can

having enjoyed the comic, i wanted to enjoy this. cinema having had an otheriwse pretty dull year, i wanted to enjoy this. it's different. it's not popcorn. but ... well, it's not good. enid is a dislikable queen bitch with no redeeming qualities. she's a bully, her happiness is other people being sad. she gets seymour to call daena but wants the date to be a disaster and when it isn't and she gets to meet daena she seeks to create a scene.

even rebecca deserves a kicking (the ease with which she tells seymour about enid setting up the first date, about enid not liking him, showing him enid's sketch book). there was a bunch of guys at it in the screen when i was there laughing - guffawing - at everything, things which at best raised a smirk in me, maybe a chortle. a lot of the humour i thought was pretty cruel, very black. cynical is an interesting word to have used, because i guess the film itself is cynical, offering only the darkside of the underbelly of the american dream, and showing no hope, no redemption.

there are things to praise it for, yes. the cinematography has a style to it, the music has a style to it. but the plot, the story ... i felt nothing but dislike for enid and rebecca, for any of the characters.

btw - the ending, the bus. what do you think it means?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The Bus....HMMMM

I suppose the Transiant Nature Of life....Who Knows.
    Perhaps she was had reached such a lowpoint it was time for change. Perhaps its the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome where she believes leaving will improve her situation and attitude towards life!?

Neway heres a link to the audio of me on Rattlebag Today.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/rattlebag/rattlebag.html

I'm the first comment after the movie sound clip after about 3mins 15 secs. I didn't sound like a total pratt at least, considering I was pratically manhandled w/ your one and the Yellow Microphone:)

in the comic, when she gets on the bus, the bus is full, and we're explicitly told that the bus route, having been closed, is now re-opened. in the film, the old man, norman, is seen getting on an empty bus, without us having been told that the bus line has reopened. enid subsequently boards an empty bus from the same stop. this could be her heading out of town to fuilfill her dream, of washing up somewhere different and becoming someone different or ... it could be death. ghost world, ghost bus. zwigoff and clowes say they wanted the former interpetration, half the audience thinks the latter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The bus confirmed my theory that public transport equates to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

I thought it was the former. The old guy, the only person Enid said she could rely on, got on the bus and left so perhaps she thought she had no choice left but to go in the same direction, where-ever that led. Or something.
    Does the title, Ghost World, refer to a virtual world where there's no substance or authenticity or what?

just refers to a piece of graffiti clowes say one time. appears as a piece of graffiti in the film. has no real significance. except for what the original graffiti artist meant. which could be anything.

Advertisement