Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Math Society Lectures

Options
  • 13-11-2001 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Right, any ppl in the cork area interested in maths, or maths-related topics, who wish to learn more, or just gain an insight to maths at college level, are more than welcome to call down to the math soc lectures held in UCC.

Our website is http://www.ucc.ie/students/socs/mathsoc/

Our next lecture is on the first thursday of December, I can't remember the date :( It's on cryptography, or at least it should be anyways! Any ppl interested?

I'll try and get a transcript of previous lectures for ppl who can't make or be bothered coming to lectures and post them here. Most of them will be in powerpoint tho :( I'll try and get some txt based ones for ppl if I can.

Anyone interested, email me at nesferatu10@hotmail.com. I'll try and sort out meeting up etc, if you're not farmiliar with the college.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you have a maths society

you bastard

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i had a cryptography lecture in UCC a few years ago doing enrichment classes by some american professor and it was seriously very interesting. i find most maths lectures very boring, but this was the best thing we ever did.. i'm tempted to go to this but it would depend on the time.. before 2pm is too early because i would be asleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's all on at around 7-8pm on a thursday followed by a free pint or two :) It's well worth a look.

Btw, you can just ask Liam (Leap ver 2.0 that is) for opinions, him knowing us and all that. Maybe you can convince the bugger to come to a few lectures!! I got him to a few lst year as his flatmate, but this year...

And yes we are a pack of bastards :) Why be anything else??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

wtf is a lecture? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Think of it as a prelude to sharpen your thirst for the drink to yes :)

On a more serious note, IMSA is on next weekend in DCU. IMSA is the Irish Mathematical Students Association Conference. It's a weekend of maths, lectures and debauchery. The lectures are varied but usually pretty advanced stuff, exception being that this year I'm giving a talk on the physics/maths of Discworld! Which should be a good laugh. I might post it up here after the conference.

It's on the 30th to the 2nd at the end of this month, and is well worth attending. So if your college is sending ppl, see if ya can get on, and head to DCU for a good laugh, a few lectures and more than a few drinks!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement