Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify either/both of these from the Vatican Museum

Options
  • 13-11-2001 12:59am
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Just getting around to scanning some photos I took in the Vatican in 1998.... they dont like you taking photo's there much so the quality ain't the best...)

Anyway, I can't for the life of me find any info on these two, one being a tapestry iirc....

Anyone know?

vatican_002.jpg
    Priests being Martyred...

vatican_005.jpg
    Slaughter of the Innocents (tapestry?)

Thanks,

Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's very difficult to find out what those pieces are, there's so much in the Vatican and sure, everybody races by the good stuff to get to the Sistine Chapel. Anyway, for some reason, the top one looks Spanish or Dutch to me, possibly Rembrandt. What;s going on, I haven't a clue other than it's the Crucifixion. The second one I haven't a clue about other than it could be a depiction of The Rape of the Sabines.

Anyway, if you really want to find out what they are, I suggest you get in touch with the History of Art department in UCD.

The numbers are:
    ph. +353-1-716-8162
    fax: +353-1-269-8453

The expert in Renaissance art is:
    Dr Nicola Figgis (716 8404) email probably is: nicola.figgis@ucd.ie

If you really want to know what they are, I suggest you try that. Hope that was a help.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Thanks for the numbers...

The first one is not the crucifixion... it's several priests being hanged because they were priests, wherever and whenever I dont know....
    Damn wee pocket camera doesnt take great pictures, and you kinda have to sneak any photographs there so you take what you get...

The second one is in the Gallery of the Tapestries - I can find some sites on-line with images of some of them but not them all.
    It is definitely (IMO!) the slaughter of the innocents, i.e. the killing of all the first borns by Herod, if my primary school education still stands to me....

Anyway, that's what you get for not buying a guide book... I went in there not having a clue what to expect - OK, everyone's heard of the sistine chapel - but to me, these two kinda stood out the most. I am trying to arrange going back to Rome again, hopefully next summer. If I do, I will go to the museum a couple of times - and that's from someone who has never been to another museum... ever.
    Oh yeah, and I'll buy the book this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I was talking to a friend of mine who knows lots of stuff and he happened to mention something about a tapestry gallery in the Vatican Library. Some of them, according to him, are uncharacteristically done by Raphael - so maybe your 'Slaughter of the Innocents' (I think you're correct) was done by him.

In any case, why not get in touch with the History of Art department, they're a clever bunch and Figgis is fairly amicable if you were to ring her or email her.

Advertisement