Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Others

Options
  • 05-11-2001 4:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen it yet. It's recieved quite good reviews and I love a good old fashioned spooking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

YAWN!
    Thats my comment.

Its an interesting idea but as a movie its not very entertaining from my point of view - i.e the type of movie I would only watch once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Scared the shít outta me! Brought back the memories of everything that scared me as a child... I liked the ending too :)

The young lad reminded me of myself at that age, due to the stories my mother would tell us to keep us from geting up in the middle of the nite.
    I was always afraid that someone was in my room at night, my brother knew this n tried to frighten me one nite by jumping on my bed, turned out he got a bigger shock cause i was screaming so much n kept hitting him LOL :D

So if u were ever afraid of the dark, or that there was something under your bed at night, go to see this film, otherwise don't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It was a lot better than I expected, to be honest. The trailer/description looks baaaad, but the film itself turns out to be pretty decent.

Acting was good (even from the newbie children actors, and espesh the old nanny lady), and the way the story unfolds is really well done.

It's like those films you go over in your head to work it out. Ala Sixth Sense, Fight Club.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was really good. It spooked me during but I wasn't left with that feeling of foreboding afterward which I quite enjoy, oh well can't have everything I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

I went to see it last night and awwww man.................It could have been sooo much better !! I'm not going to spoil it for u but the ending is exactly the same as another recent spooky film kinda on the same theme !!

I was expecting something new and innovating to scare the **** outa me and all I got was a tried and tested formula that’s been done before !! The ending for me was the one thing that really ruined the whole film for me.................and u can see it coming from a mile off !

All in all, not worth the arse-numbingly long wait for the finale!

You will just have to go yourself though and see what u think !

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It was cool. Saw it in Glasgow with a friend of mine who was scared senseless. He was shaking for about an hour afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Now... I just came from seeing this film, and I say CLASS! :D

What a beautiful, darkly gothic, and utterly eerie gem of a film this one is.
    Possibly one of the only genuinly scary films I've seen for a long, LONG time.

This one really makes up for those terrible MTV Generation "Hip" ghost movies like The Haunting and The House On Haunted Hill.
    It's a film that is properly scary, and doesn't rely heavily on "Shock Tactics" to produce a little fright.
    It really builds up the tension and suspense, and just glows with it's dark, vintage atmosphere.
    This one is a true horror movie.

And Yo Momma, if you viewed it as an "Arse-numbingly
    long wait for a finale" you've missed the point totaly.
    It's all about suspense, and tension.
    It's pure vintage horror, in the vien of the old Vincent Price kind of Horror.
    Not a kind of Scream film...

I say to everyone who likes real Horror, SEE THIS FILM.
    Masterfully directed, and extremely artistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i must agree with ANGELWHORE. it was great to watch. love that ending, where the monkey goes on the rampage ? brilliant

Yeah i saw it.The film itself board the **** outa me but is a nice idea .It is true you can only see it once .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good piece of work - great acting

One twist movie though - reminds me of something else (won't write the name of the movie because it'll spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Its a bit slow moving but....

Brilliantly acted (especially the children) and also very visually pleasing w/ a good (yet predictable) ending:)

I've seen better but I most definitely have seen worse of late. Worth the admission price IMO!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

might go see this!

I was disappointed when I saw the trailer because I had always thought "the others" was based on a book by James Herbert of the same name - which I thought would make a good film but would be interested in seeing just how they go about it.

Mind you, a decent gothic horror.... note I said decent, so that's half the crap out along with that travesty actually entitled "gothic"... is something I've been looking for recently, that and the two squids my sofa swallowed...

Advertisement