Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hole

Options
  • 05-11-2001 1:26pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck Muck

Argh! If they threw the money they spent on this complete wastrel of a movie down a hole, it would have been better value for money.

Plot: A group of rich school kids bunk off from a school trip in an abandoned bunker and get locked in. The film starts off with one of the kids finally escaping and telling her story.

Bad acting, bad and predicatable characters, ****e small twist at the end. Bad bad bad bad film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I remember, when it was out in the cinema, being really eager to see it, but for some reason (I can't remember now), I didn't manage to catch it during it's cinema release, so I got it out on DVD last week.

I had some time to kill before I could watch the film, so I decided to watch the trailer. The trailer made it look really good, showed a bunch of kids scared out of their wits (which is always fun), and .. oh my .. that girl just puked! Into a rancid-lookin toilet! After the trailer, I really couldn't wait to see the film.

The opening scenes were pretty good, really set the tone. Then things started to go downhill. I started getting flashbacks of Blair Witch Project II, and I (and everyone else I watched it with) could see the ending coming from about a half an hour into the film, which is always pretty depressing.

The film itself seemed to think it was something it wasn't. It seemed to think it was putting a diabolical new "twist" on the thriller genre. A twist so fiendish, it wouldn't look out of place in an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Well, I'd like to address the director of The Hole, if I may - Mr. Hamm, a twist you can predict from early on in the movie is absolutely pointless, no matter how many tired MTV-style visuals you put around the hollow shell called a story you build around this twist.

Although, it's quite obvious the plan wasn't really to aim this movie at a mass audience. It seems to me that the director had decided to specifically target both the angst-ridden teen market, and the goth market with the general morbid atmosphere and gory visuals on display. Unfortunately, I don't think this movie would appeal to either of these groups - I hope both groups would be smarter than that.

So, short story even shorter - fantastic premise (kids disappearing into a hole, only one survives), let down by trying to be more clever than the story would allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

boo! down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, I saw it last night, thought that it pretty much sucked too. However everyone else in the flat thought it was good (stupid English <unts)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Gerry

The good news for hole is that there is now a far, far worse film on the go, jeepers creepers. Worst film I have seen in years, I tried to laugh at how bad it was, but left instead.

Advertisement