Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I switch my phone service to NTL...

Options
  • 04-11-2001 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

...do I still need to pay eircom for the line rental?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're going for the three-in-one(do they do any other phone service?) you'll be using their line, so, no. But afaik, when you're with Esat you don't have to either, all charges go to Esat. Anyone around who's on Esat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Unless you use a completely different infrastructure - like NTL's cable - you have to pay line rental to Eircom. So yes, when you use Esat Fusion, or whatever it's called this week, you get two bills.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah ffs, thats just bollox. This fookin country!!!!:mad: So you get a second bill for around 25 quid every month?! That is the most absurd thing I've eve heard!!!!!!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We should start to see change RSN.

adam

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

usually when you chnge to NTl though, they come out and install their own wires, and you cancel your rental with Eircom, you only have to pay NTL the line rental and telephone charges, so Eircom are out of the story :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

what makes you think that dahamsta

and OJ thats extremely unusual as most of their network isnt upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thanks for the replies folks...

But can anyone who has the 3 in 1 NTL service confirm that you still have to pay eircom the line rental or not?

Oh and I'm in Dublin City Center, if that makes any difference to the NTL Network?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

we have ntl as our phone operator (also for tv)
    we do NOT pay anything to eircom at all.
    i live in templeogue and we have ntl cable's coming to our house - its an ntl upgraded area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Showoff ;)

But as you said you're in an upgraded area so NTL have their own infrastructure in there, therefore you don't have to pay line rental to eircom.

What about outside the upgraded areas though?!

Maybe I should actually try asking them eh?

i have it, its called the mutlilink package and yes you pay line rental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have it too, and yes you definately will still pay line rental with Eircom.

One thing to seriously think about though is the internet part..

1) If you use the ntlworld connection (01 2450429) during week days, you will severly get SHAFTED!!, use it at the weekends..then you get 24/2 access but cut off every two hours no matter whether the connection is active or not....kiss morpheus/kazzaa goodby for you own sanity there, besides edonkey is far far more reliable, or for standard http downloads use getright..or your download manager of choice.

2) LoCall numbers are billed at NTL standard rates too...

HOWEVER!!

3) Do what i do ( and no doubt «Bo§ton» does also) , get an 1891 number for weekday access..this is not billed by NTL and is billed as normal by Eircom

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I have been with NTL for about a year now, and pay eicom the line rental.

I also use the indigo number during the week, put have you all noticed recently how bad the connection's have been?.

CS has be come nearly unplayable and its taking pages, and mail forever to download.

Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Was talking to someone last night who said she'd left NTL because the bills were incomprehensible and the staff unhelpful.

She *actually went back to Eircom*, it was that bad.

No personal experience, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by NORTH1
    I have been with NTL for about a year now, and pay eicom the line rental.

I also use the indigo number during the week, put have you all noticed recently how bad the connection's have been?.

CS has be come nearly unplayable and its taking pages, and mail forever to download.

Brian.

Actually Brian , would have said the opposite, it was pretty bad a couple of months ago, but recently (last few weeks) i've found it to be very good, and conversly ntl slower, and when a new trek episode comes out...i'm connected for LONG periods so average download speed matters and connectivity.

Both of which have recently improved immensly recently.

The only reasoning i can give is that i moved a couple of weeks ago and am now connecting at a slightly slower rate than before (initially 49.2,or 50.6) but it seems that the software modem prefers this. Strange, but a 450mb download on the donkey is taking a few hours less than before, when i always connected at 53.2. Running Win2k SP2 ,Lucent winmodem.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've got the 3 in 1 thingy and I dont pay anything to eircom. Im in tempeologue meaning a upgraded area. If your not in an upgraded area you cant get the 3 in 1 deal.

yes you can, there are two 3 in 1 deals with the same thing, just better prices and an extra line with yours

Advertisement