Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science and school

Options
  • 01-11-2001 1:24pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Like a lot of people in secondary school, I did Junior Cert Science and got on quite well in it. I found it to be interesting and not *too* difficult to get my head around (in most cases). Result was a B in Higher Level, so I was well chuffed. I thought I should choose a science subject for my Leaving Cert since I'd done so well in my JC and I decided to give Physics and Chemistry (as 2 seperate subjects rather than a combined Phys-Chem subject) a lash whilst in Tran-Year. Chemistry didn't go so well for me and as I had to drop a subject in 5th year, that was the one to go.
    The Physics course was tough enough - lots of maths that I didn't fully understand (I was only doing Ordinary Maths) but on a grand scale, most of it made sense to me. The experiments were handy enough and having a good teacher helped, but I decided to do Ordinary level as some of the stuff was WAY above me (there were whole chapters of the book that were left out). I got a B2 in the Ordinary paper and I was well chuffed with it.

Anyway, enough ranting.

I was wondering how many others did a science subject for Leaving Cert (or equivalent) but didn't go on to a scence related course in college. Did you find it interesting despite not wanting a career in that area or did you just see it as a route to more marks for whatever course you wanted?

I don't have a HUGE interest in the subject now, but I like to have a read of some articles on web sites or magazines every now and again when the mood takes me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I did phys and chem as seperate subjects for my leaving (back in 1990). Went on to do a degree in Applied MAths, and now work in IT.

I guess I picked them because they interested me....

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

i did physics and applied maths for the leaving too. i'm now doing actuarial and financial studies at college.

i liked applied maths but i really only liked the more mathematical parts of physics. some of the actual concepts were a bit hard to egt your head around and it was definitely one of my tougher subjects. i don't think many people were doing physics for teh points!

as far as i know, they have brought a new course in now with more emphasis on students doing experiments and they have taken much of the maths that was left out of it.

i think this should make it more popular as it will be more relevant to students and not as abstract and theoretical.buit pushin trolleys round a lab doesn't exactly float my boat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I did Biology and Chemistry for the LC. Went on to UL to do Industrial Biochemistry. Have to admit now that I wish I hadn't...but this is my final year at last although I can't see myself working in this area...at least I hope I can't...that would be my idea of hell. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Awwrite C...long time no see......what's da story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I did Physics and Chemistry in my Leaving, now study CS&SE in Maynooth.

Damn it. I should be in DCU doing Multimedia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Didn't do any science subjects in school, moved to a very small school in fifth year and the options weren't great as far as I can recall. Of course at the time I didn't really know what I wanted to do, I was good at accounting so I picked that and business studies. Turned out I was just good at maths, should have gone for physics really, but hey.
    Went to college for a year doing mechanical engineering, dropped out due to lack of interest basically. It was only when I was in college that I realised what I really wanted to do.

I'm now a Web Developer/Software Engineer.

Currently thinking about moving to New Zealand and weaving baskets for a living.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

A in JC Science, A in LC Physics, B in LC Chemistry.

Although I didn't take a directly physics- or chemistry-related course in college, I found both subjects very interesting and enjoyable to study. I've always had a heavy interest in 'the way things work', ever since i was yay high (i've dismantled my fair share of toasters, tvs, computers, etc...(and put back together almost as many ;) )).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I did honours physics, chemistry and biology all as seperate subjects for my leaving but didn't do a science related degree at college.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hons Physics, Chemistry, presently studying physics in UCC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Toulouse
    I did Biology and Chemistry for the LC. Went on to UL to do Industrial Biochemistry. Have to admit now that I wish I hadn't...but this is my final year at last although I can't see myself working in this area...at least I hope I can't...that would be my idea of hell. :(

Jaysus! Looks who's popped out of the woodwork! How do Carroll?

Is it maybe something of a common occurence for things like this to happen? You did Physics and Chemistry and now Bio Engineering and you hate the thing - but obviously you enjoyed them enough in secondary school to choose it as a potential career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did Honours Physics and Biology for the leaving. Went on to start science degree in UCD. Failed physics in summer of first year, and just scraped Biology. Passed phys with 43% at Autumn(phew), so decided after 3 years, if I can still can't pass it, Why bother? So now I do Statistics and Computer Science :) What a doss!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Hello my chickens, I have returned from the dead ;)
    I swear to God..if I get through this year without failing anything, I will never read another research paper or don a white coat EVER again!

Advertisement