Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visual sourcesafe question

Options
  • 01-11-2001 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I use vss from a number of machines with the same username on each. When I want to see which machine I checked a file out on it doesn't always say the machine - eg sometimes it shows the check out folder as \\machinename\blah\ and sometimes just \blah.
    Anyone know why it's sometimes different and how I could force it to always show the machine name too?
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

\blah is the local machine. \\machinename\blah is a remote machine. ie: If you have your code checked out to the machine you're currenlty working on it will just say \blah. But if it's checked out to a different machine it will also display the machine name in the path. How you force it to always show the machine name I don't know, but I don't think you'll need to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey guys,

Just on the issue of source control, what systems are people using?

Where I work now we've to use SCCS (ugh)...

Last place I was we used a proprietary system called TRUEchange, which wasn't bad, kept deltas in groups called "changesets". McCabe bought the company last thing I heard, so don't know if it's been developed further.

Most open-source projects use CVS and it seems to be pretty standard in new projects on unix.

VSS? I'd look at TRUEchange as an alternative in the wintel world (btw I've used both quite a bit, this aint just M$ bashing)

Al.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

try this

There are three ways of doing this, all of which involve a little
    bit of work as it's not possible to easily have VSS do what this
    person wants (as I understand what is required):

* To encode the machine name into the files being checked out, it
    would be best to check out the code to a share on that machine
    rather than locally e.g. check the code out to \\machine\Dev\Proj
    instead of C:\Dev\Proj etc. I'm not sure this would work but
    there is no reason why it wouldn't. HIGH DIFFICULTY.

* Create a different VSS user profile for each machine this
    person is working on. Then make sure that you are logging into
    VSS on each machine with the correct user profile. This will
    identify which code is checked out on which machine. MEDIUM
    DIFFICULTY.

* When checking out the code, ensure that the local directory
    specification contains the machine name e.g. C:\Dev\Machine\Proj
    etc. EASY-PEASY DIFFCULTY.

Advertisement