Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

itv sport

Options
  • 29-10-2001 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Does anyone know if it is possible to pick up digital tv from Scotland/ Borders region in Bangor NI. I want to watch the champions league and since I cant get it from local dtt or RTE as there is no reception in Bangor. I already have an aerial picking up BBC1/2 Scotland and ITV Border.
    Any help would be great.

Cheers Gary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

Not entirely sure you should give up on the RTE reception. I am in Bangor too - TV3 isn't blocked by Whitehead tx. In fact it comes through from time to time in colour on my Scot/NI aerial set/. TV3 has rights to Champions League in Ireland.
    Depends where you are in Bangor for RTE. A friend in Rathmore direction had EXCELLENT RTE - I can just about get a weak signal despite the cochannel - can you give a rough idea of where you're located (there are plenty of Scot aerials up around town so that doesn't give too much of clue).
    I'm on the South side of the town.
    Other folks who live very cloe to sea front can get a weak TG4 signal.

On the Scot aerial you're probably tuned to Cambret Hill - I think it isn't DTTV at the moment but I would stand corrected on that. It's a high powered relay from the Sandale/Caldbeck tx in Cumbria which you would need to go for. Unless you're close to the seafront in which case if Darvel (Ayr) is on air you could try for it.

Anyway if you can give just a vague indication which side of town you are I'll do my best to fill you on what i know

I have an interest in how you get on-so please post if you try to get Scottish ITV digital-I suspect you'll have more luck with tv3 though.
    ITV digital appears to like "sea travel"-but depending on the distance,power of tx, and weather conditions.I suspect Bangor is closer to Scotland/Cumbria than I am from the Presely tx in Wales and digital makes its way over to Wexford fine from that 70% of the time :)
    Down this part of the world we are used to digging out the Highest gain aerials and amps to pick up UK tv from Wales but depends on location-spending a 100 or so to get in an analogue tv3 might be worth it and its free after that.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gsni

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

I live in Rathmore. I am almost certain that my Scottish channels come from Cambret Hill. I could can check the uhf numbers. The thing is I used to be able to get a week TV3 and TG4 picture, sound would come and go. It was not exactly watchable. I got the aerial installed by Bill + Ben Aerial Men, from Ards. I wanted to get RTE but they told me it was not possible. So I went for the Scottish channels.

Right - Rathmore is the beat place in Bangor. My friend is in Killeen Pk - if you go in there look at the houses on the left - two houses have vertically polarised aerials pointing south - they are RTE aerials. From Springhill Shop Centre if you come towards Rathmore Rd. at the T junction with R. Rd there's a house dead in front of you with RTE. Any aerial vertically polarised up there is RTE!!!!
    How long ago did you have Bill and Ben - the guys there now aren't Bill and Ben. My friend in Killeen had Lisburn Aerials - very good but LONG wait.

HTH

Oh my friend in Killeen I'm sure will let you see his RTE if you want...
    Give me a shout if interested.
    We could soon have a Bangor branch of aerials anonynmous!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 gsni

I live in Henderson so Killeen is not very far.
    I will check out these aerials and I'll let you know how I get on if your are interested.

Not to sure when I had the aerial installed, at a guess I would say I got it about 5 years ago.

Thanks for the offer to check out the pictures, I may take you up on the offer. Do you know if all RTE channels come through okay?

Thanks again.

The RTE channels are excellent - RTE1 partic. although a very slight venetian blind effect is there. Net2 is super - my friend thinks it's not as good but I've watched many a Munster rugby game on it perfectly fine. His TV3 and TG4 are less good -TV3 watchable - 4 tends to black and white.The neighbour who also as an aerial (tho' I've never seen it) gets perfect recpetion on all four channels.

Keep your eyes open for aerials in your area - there are loads there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DerekMcV

Out of interest chaps what type of aerial are you using. I’m across the Lough at Carrickfergus and get RTE, Net2,TV3 & TG4 perfect. In fact my worst channel is Channel5. TV3’s coverage of the Champions league is the Best. Far better that ITV digital (when we poor NI customers were able to get it).

I use an antiference vertical positioned 18-element group CD for RTE, and mix it with a antiference horizontal 12-element group A using a group A diplexer. I have a mast amp and power supply. If your ever over this side of the lough you will see plenty of houses with this arrangement. Though I’ve never seen any in North Down. I found that the wavy line venetian blind effect someone mentioned on Net2 comes from another channel close by. You need to carefully position the direction of both aerials to remove it. Also helps if you keep the two aerials a metre apart.

Hope this helps

Advertisement