Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happenin here?

Options
  • 26-10-2001 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

In my eternal quest for more knowledge, anyone got any ideas about this?:

I'm connecting from an NT workstation through an NT 4.0 HTTP proxy, and I keep getting nslookup errors when looking for any addresses apart from boards.ie. Maybe it has just remembered the boards' IP? I did a Task Manager Kill on mIRC earlier, 'cos I gave some command by accident, and it wouldn't stop pumping out ****e, and I'm only rebooting now (in a sec). So I'm guessing this is it, but does anyone know what's happening?

<edit> Nope, rebooted, same old thing. Can get no-one but boards.ie, hmmmm.....anyone seen this before? Oh btw, I can't change any proxy settings, I'm not even supposed to be on the 'net. Only got on through some creative IP manipulation. :p </edit>

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, sounds to me like Cloud is doing some creative competition management... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, I'm maybe thinking that even though I cancelled the IRC on my clientside maybe the proxy is still receiving all this sh!te? I'd really prefer not to have to reboot the proxy, 'cos the admin would kill me, and besides it's over there locked, and I don't know if can lock it again after rebooting without the admin's password. :( Help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by seamus
    <edit> Nope, rebooted, same old thing. Can get no-one but boards.ie, hmmmm.....anyone seen this before? Oh btw, I can't change any proxy settings, I'm not even supposed to be on the 'net. Only got on through some creative IP manipulation. :p </edit>

It looks like your "creative IP manipulation" is the problem, have you got entries for DNS servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Prob was solved the next day - don't know how, I think the admin might have rebooted the proxy, but I don't use a DNS. The only computer I can talk to with net access is the proxy, which uses it's own DNS, and all internal lan comms is done through explicit IP addressing, no text names whatsoever. But there's not too many computers here so that's not really an issue.

To shed some more light on this : - Bear in mind I first used IRC the day I broke the proxy :p - and then, fooling around, I typed '/names' into one of the screens connected to the quake server. Oops, I'm thinking it spewed out the handle of everyone in every room on the server, which was many, many, people :(. And so, when I came in the next day, it had finished giving out all the names, and normal service was resumed. Anyone confirm/reject?

Thanks all

Advertisement