Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irc and firewalls?

Options
  • 27-04-2000 2:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i've finally reached the stage where doing no work is too much like hard work, so now its time for irc. but i can' find anyway of ircing through our firewall. i've tried many different web irc-programs, includeing java ones,to no avail and i can't use the socks option in mirc either ( can't find the firewall name).
    any ideas?

MiCr0

[This message has been edited by MiCr0 (edited 27-04-2000).]

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Isn't there a JAVA Applet IRC client on the boards?
    /me has a look...
    It's here!!!

Unfortunately, I've never used it (JAVA Applets are blocked by our firewall).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

...Also the boards java chat uses the boards' own irc server, rather than Quakenet or whatever. Well, it did last time I tried it anyway smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

See if you can do a tracert out to an irish website (www.boards.ie) for example and then
    try all the ip's it returns as the firewall name.

Probably won't work but worth a go.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Unless they have the IRC port open you ain't going anywhere.

Most corporations have a DOOR server though.

So TELNET to "door", if it appears it will ask for username password. Normally it would be like the example below...

username: user@telnet.iol.ie
    password: (password to log into remote telnet).

The only problem now is to find a Telnet server which supports IRC. IOL used to a long time ago. Don't know if they still do.

Corporations tend to monitor the DOOR as well from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

bleh... sign up for a free account on nether.net
    telnet to nether.net and run *****X (you know u want to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

Hobbes.....no telnet servers provide irc services anymore. Far too much of a security risk. Yea, used to remember when iol did it about 2 years ago there - was great for spying in irc =)

...i mean it was great if you were that sad and wanted to know what people were saying about you, and become paranoid online aswell.
    Sad eh? wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

hat to point it out again but nether.net give free unix shell accounts which provide irc services i.e. ircII (not servers)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

got 2 shell accounts with ircii but no telnet access frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I used nether.net a while back to telnet into irc.barrysworld.com, it worked grand, you just have to go through several quite convoluted stages.

anyway, telnet is *painful* to use for irc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement