Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3dfx cardz are a right arseache

Options
  • 24-04-2000 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

The other day i bought soldier of fortune in game it said a 3dfx card was nessecary i asked the guy in the shop about it and he said it would still work if i did not have one.it did'nt i have a p500 with 64mb ram and s3 virge 8mb video card when i try to start the game the screen goes all flickery and it says it commit an illegal operation. ne1 know a way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It depends in whether SOF has a software mode.
    I think the guy in the shop presumed you had a card with a decent OpenGL ICD, which 99% of mainstream cards do nowadays.
    Unfortunately I doubt the Virge does. No offense but since the dawn of 3d acceleration Virge chipsets have been the running joke of the market. Get a dif video card , anything else but that thingy (The rest of you system is pretty decent, the vid card is just letting it down big time).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, pick up a voodoo3 2000 for about 60 quid and yer laughin
    its not the best card on the market but everything runs on it and it gives pretty colours

ohhh, the colours...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Hey Demon if you want a video card then email me, I've got a banshee and a tnt here. Not the latest and fastest but not very expensive at all either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hahah V5 6000
    hey maybe if we just throw on more chips and more ram itll go faster
    hahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

and it does...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Oi gerry give us some info on that TNT smile.gif

Is it PCI, how much memory has it got, blah blah etc

How much do u want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Or wait for a V5 6000 with 128megs RAM or an NV15 aka GeForce 2GTS with 64mgs RAM. Either would do the job to a satisfactory state.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Gah... this P200 i'm using hasn't got AGP frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Have my Voodoo 5 5500 64 ordered ... and from everythin I read the extra chips and ram will ensure that performance wise ... it'll **** all over my rage 128 32.

And to keep with the point Demon,

Even if you could get the game running in software mode, it would be a painful experience.

Best bet, wait 2 weeks or so till the V4, V5 and so on are released ... once these hit the shops you should be able to pick up a V2 or V3 very cheap.

But do buy a decent graphics card .... above everything it'll make the biggest difference to FPS games.

JAK.

Ohh the colours etc.

[This message has been edited by Jak (edited 26-04-2000).]

• Advertisement

Sorry its agp. its got 16megs of ram and its.£40. Doesnt mind running on a 150mhz bus though so thats a good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ere jak it wouldnt be too hard to **** over a rage 128 now smile.gif

smile.gif

True true ... but still like ...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

But surely pi$$ing on electrical equipment is dangerous...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

Well I'm getting a geforce because its faster and cheaper. The voodoo 5 5500 is only faster when you put it in some stupidly high resolution like 1280 * 1024.

Must be reading different reviews.

Advertisement