Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voodoo3 2D prob

Options
  • 24-04-2000 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've got a voodoo3 2000 pci, but i'm not gettin good 2d performance out of it, i think my pc is still using my 2mb inbuilt card for 2d, how do i unistall this card and is there any wires or whatever i can disconnect in the pc to definetly make sure the computer can't use it?

A voodoo3 should be able to do resoultions up to 2046x1536 but i can only set it to 1280 x 1024. I want to fix this cause i can't watch quicktime movies with missing 50% of the frames.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Erk, right, well just to make sure...
    You max resolution will also be restricted to the type of monitor you have installed, but if you're sure your monitor can handle higher resolutions, and you're sure the system is still using your onboard video, then this means your systems BIOS didn't automaticly turn off the onboard video.

But now I'm a bit confused; do you have some sort of plug-thru cable from your onboard video to your Voodoo3, or does the display just switch?
    If you have two monitor ports on the back of your PC due to having two display devices, then I'd assume you have your monitor plugged into your Voodoo3 monitor port, in which case the onboard video shouldn't be able to affect what you see from your Voodoo3 at all.

But their are some things you can have a look at...
    Try looking in your device manager ((Control Panel//System//Device Manager)) and see if your onboard video chip is still installed, if it is; you can go into the properties of the device and select to Disable it.

Or you can check in your system BIOS setup for any options to manualy disable it, (if your not sure about this one, see if you can find your manual or call your PC's tech support).

But on most systems I've seen with onboard video, the new card will automaticly be picked up, and the onboard video will be totaly deactivated.
    But you can always double check by attaching your monitor cable to your onboard videos' monitor port and see if their is any display.

I wouldn't suggest going into the PC and un-hooking any wires, 'cuz you never know what might happen. smile.gif

That's the harware end of things anyway.

But if QuickTime movies are going screwy, you might try lowering your resolution down to something more reasonable, like 800x600, which should give your 2D performance a boost.
    Also take into account, that CPU speed has a lot to do with the framerate of your movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have a voodoo3 2000 and a nice onboard video card as well. plus the nice people at dell made it near on impossible to actually install a second card over the first. but like dead-o said, disable the onboard card in device manager and you shoul be fine.
    you will notice this works because a)you get picture through your voodoo card abd b) you dont get picture through your onboard card!

download the new quick time as well. its col and greatly imporoves video when playing the 5ive videos on their latest album invincible (which roxers by the way!)
    er, and yeah, make sure your monitor supports higher resoution. also make sure you have the right monitor installed and its not svga compatible or whatever

in fact that is all exactly as dead-o said, apart from the reference to 5ive, who are cool smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

should of bought it from me on that fateful sunday morning. oh well, you can all learn from vincent's tough lesson- buy from maplin electronics

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You have a website there Excelsior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

maplin.co.uk

or my website at www.iol.net/~mullent

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Advertisement
Advertisement