Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parrallel video recording...

Options
  • 24-04-2000 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Just wondering.... would it be possible to record two movies from the television onto one video tape simultaneously?

By recording onto every second frame for each movie it *could* be acheived right?
    Then you could have a sort of MBR in the first minute of the tape where you could make your choice as to which movie you wanted to watch.

I know something like this would be utterly pointless now what with DVD coming in, but it would be interesting to see if it *could* work.

Any ideas/comments?

Karla

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I dont see the point Of it, If you could get an alternater switch to change the station every 25th of a second it would work..................I still dont see the point.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah come on, it doesn't matter if their's no point, just as long as it's fun smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

If you changed the channel every 25th of a second how the hell would you watch it.....dumbass!!!! smile.gif

I was just thinking about it in work (I have a very boring job smile.gif ) it's not like I'm gonna invent the damn thing.

Anyway, didn't I say it was pointless :P

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 25-04-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Karla:

By recording onto every second frame for each movie it *could* be acheived right?

Hello, Yoou it there, record the movie on every second, I don;t See the point cause there is no Fúckin point.

John

If you don't see the point then leave it alone.

BTW There is NO ****ING POINT, I already said it was pointless you moron!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

he means getting something where it would record a frame, change channel, record another frame, change channel, etc.

itd be simpler just to get another VCR, and much more reliable than having a single videotape where every alternate frame is of a different movie, tapes are analogue and require all that tracking ****e, and how does an mbr tie into all of this?

if you want to light a cigarette, you can use two stones that have been carefully crafted at great cost to be able to light a cigarette without squashing it 60% of the time, or you could carry a cheap lighter that will light the cigarette without ever squashing it(!!)

Hmm yeah, I was thinking that the video machine would do all the alternating work, like taking the two movies through different ports simultaneously then somehow mapping them both onto the tape. The MBR thingy would be the way you'd select which one you'd want to watch.

I know this is a really dumb idea, but I was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    if you had a switch for the two inputs, swapping between each as it wrote to the tape one frame at a time and then to read back you'd just chose to start at frame 1 or 2 and read every second one (I think).
    But I'm curious - why not just tape the first film, then the second after that?
    not being smart - but would it gain space or anything ?
    or it just one of those "wonder if I could" questions?
    oops - certainly wasn't being smart. I didn't realise the point - taping two channels at the same time. oops.

[This message has been edited by deRanged (edited 25-04-2000).]

Maybe there'd be a point if you could do it, with a DVD recorder, whenever they come out.

That could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Nope.

2 ports, one control unit, switching between ports would be a bad idea (You'd get a lot of noise for each transition).
    The signal coming down your lovely old cable is a streaming analogue signal, so you'd have to wait until after the VCR has converted it into proper frame-by-frame video before you could start switching.
    and an RF to Video converter that could work with 2 signals at once and would do the work of interlacing each frame and then using some sort of encoded synchronisation signal to ignore the unwanted frames on playback.

Work boredom need never be the same again with the old Useless-information highway

DVD recorders are out, for the PC anyway. DVD re-writable will do Movie discs - if you've got your $3000 handy....
    A better option might be the digital VCR's they have in the states (Cant remember the name, might be Video on Demand). It saves to a HDD , they look pretty nice and are relatively cheap (around $700 for a 4 hour version)

• Advertisement
Advertisement