Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU or Mobo?

Options
  • 22-04-2000 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Right, need a bit of a clue here...

I have (or had) got a P166-MMX, which I over-clocked to 200MHz, (sometimes upped it to 233MHz).
    It was all going fine until one day, I turned it on and all I could get was an eternal "....beep beep beep beep beep......", no display, no POST, no harddrive activity, nothing but beeps.

The CPU fan is active, as is the fan on the PSU.
    Obviously something is fux0rd here, but is their any way I can tell weather it's the processor or motherboard?
    'Cuz I'd realy like to get it running again to network with my current machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

I know most mobo's give off a certain sequence of beeps which indicates the problem.

But if you have a 166 then chances are you don't have the manual? The fact that it's beeping suggests to me that it's the cpu which isn't responding. But the first thing I would do is check for a loose cable somewhere.

I recently overclocked a PC...course I had to stick me fingers in to see how hot it was (like my finger would know) rolleyes.gif anyway I knocked a cable on the way out and spent 2 days looking for the fault...oh well...ya live an learn...

‡PJ‡

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I striped the system down to its bare bits, took everything apart and put it back together, all the cableing is tip-top.

But I should at least get a post without most of the cables, (eg. IDE cables, LED's).
    It's just someting that's totaly head-wrecking because I don't know which component to replace.

I have the motherboard manual, but I don't think it has the 'beep' translations, I'll have another look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

find the manual and the sequence of beeps

or rip out bits and throw them in a friends pc till that stops working
    good oul' process of elimination smile.gif

i had a similar problem with and old computer (a 386 hehe) and it ended up being the PSU.. just emitted beeps and nothing else at all, so dont discount that either smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

This happened to me last week with my p3 450. What I tried was take out the cpu, see if the beeps are the same, check the contacts on the cpu (or pins in your case). obviously declock the machine to 166. Take out the ram and put it back in because sometimes an insulating oxidised layer can form between the ram and the mobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, yeah I haven't played with it in about a month or two, so I can't remember the results of my little 'pulling out the cpu' test, but as far as I can remember I think it was the same, I'm not sure though.

I set the machine back to 166MHz and tried reseating the ram chips a few times.
    The pins are fine, striaght as an arrow etc.

I recon I'll have another go at it over the next week or so.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement