Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting two machines.

Options
  • 21-04-2000 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have two machines with network cards. If run a network cable from one card to the other will it work?

Do I have to set the TCP/IP settings a certain way? or beyond a static IP everything will be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hey,
    Well if you are using a 10baset network card you will need to get a special wire, a crossover wire, to connect the two cards. if u are using co-ax to connect them, just make sure u have the 2 50 ohm terminators at the end.

Other wise when you are connecting them there is nothing really to worry about.
    if u are using say 192.168.x.y as ur ips, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and try to avoid using 192.168.0.x numbers.. i don't know why but it can cause trouble.

apart from that .. is should all work ok. If u are using windows, then you will have to make sure that when the log on to microsoft network box appears, you press ok, or else you won't be able to browse shares or printers on the network. ( if you select windwos logon as your primary log on option, you won't need to wrry about that )

umm... that's all i can think of. Have a look at www.helmig.com for more advice..
    and o yeah.. make sure the workgroup names are the same.
    any probs gimme an email

gavin@redbrick.dcu.ie

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dont forget the terminators and dont forget to have both computers with the same network settings . i forgot the terminators a while back and i took me ages to fig it out . if your using rj45 its basicly the same just get the setting the same and then sit back and kill . smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lads, thanks a lot. biggrin.gif

I had a Hub, but didn't feel like lugging it with two laptops, so the crossover cable worked like a dream.

Advertisement