Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Coast TV

Options
  • 17-10-2001 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Light on the detail, but I know these chaps have ISP plans

http://www.utvinternet.com/news_disp/indepth.asp?pt=n&id=10588

Southcoast Television,, the County Cork based company hoping to set up a community based digital TV service has said it's very confident of being successful.

South Coast lodged its application for a digital licence with the telecommunications regulator a year ago.

The company was rewarded a UHF rebeaming license following a lenghty legal battle which went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Southcoast has extensive digital plans and had hoped to be connecting customers by now but the application hasn`t yet been considered.

However, spokesman john Miller says the ball is finally rolling, and they hope to have news in the next few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by zenith
    Southcoast has extensive digital plans

Thats the story of their life! All planning no progression. They've always had an unreliable service and personally I dont think their 'digital' service will be any different. Probably the reason there are so many sky digital dishes visible in the southcoast coverage areas. They say they hope to have something within the next few months, but given their past track record I'd say thats only a pipe dream.

For what I'm paying southcoast now I'm still only getting a re-broadcasted sky digital signal, so I figure I might as well go the extra mile and get digital installed myself and cut out the middle man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

Just for your information South Coast Community Television aren't some Chorus/NTL-like teleco or cable co. they're a community project that was set up in Carrigaline, Co. Cork a number of years ago to bring an alternative to Cork Multichannel TV (MMDS) (now chorus) to the area.

For a non-corporate backed, limited budget group they did absolutely unbelievable work to get up a pretty serious UHF transmission system in south and west cork. The main problems with their signal quality isn't their distribution network it's the signals quality which they get at their receiving station in Waterford. The signals are picked up from wales and during certain weather conditions can be quite weak. Give them a chance with their digital plans, they're a pretty innovative bunch of people.

You do realise that during the 1980's volunteers had to carry huge batteries up the waterford mountains to power the transmitter until they laid power cables. Which were actually laid by hand by people from the local community for free!!

So come on give 'em a break!!! If anything they're a great possibility for decent broadband!! and it wouldn't even be for profit!!!

You don't even have to pay them if you don't want to. It's a voluntary contribution, and from what I remember it's something like £30 a year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mods - shouldn't this be moved to a more appropriate forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Not a mention of the word "eircom"
    And when i post on deflecter aerials icdg wants to move it to the digital section even though i never mentioned the bloody word.
    The site southcoasttv.net hasnt been updated since last january.
    So thats progress.

Originally posted by Rebel18
    The site southcoasttv.net hasnt been updated since last january.
    So thats progress.

My sentiments exactly. I know South Coast are a non profit (or at least low profit) organisation, but they are still lagging behind. I also know they arent a huge MMDS operation like Chorus, but look at it this way: Chorus serves all of Cork and limerick, dublin, waterford (in time). South Coast serves only the 'south coast' and so should be able to keep things going perfectly well due to the incredibly smaller network.

And regarding the '19780s and batteries up the hills', I didnt ask for a history lesson from a south coast groupie :) I already know all about them as a carrigaline resident myself.

It may be a 'voluntary' contribution, but if you dont pay it they keep coming back and eventually will start a name & shame situation in the community. So basically it comes down to bullyboy tactics.

I'll be singing their praises if they manage to provide a reliable broadband package in the next year, but the way things are going it doesnt look very likely. Last I was talking to a collector I was told that there would be a digital network running by now. Wheres my digital?

Broadband that will be the day.
    Why was it mentioned in the 1st place.
    And if they did have digital they wouldnt be able to cope with all the subcribers. How many at the moment live in carrigaline?

I suppose youre looking at the bones of about 15,000 people anyway. New houses and estates appearing every fecking day so by the time they get a digital network installed there will probably be about 50,000 living down here.

of course, what percentage of those already have digital thru sky,chorus etc and what percentage of those who dont already have digital will want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Mods - shouldn't this be moved to a more appropriate forum?

Yip...- not much to do with the IOFFL campaign really, this thread.

The Digital Television folk can have it.

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

To ignore wireless as a vehicle for for 'last-mile' broadband access is a mistake and so IMO should be relevent to the Ireland Offline Campaign. New (FWA and DTT) wireless technologies have the potential to bypass Eircom/ADSL completely and provide a much better and widespread service to boot.

Oh yeah i forgot D-J-K the annual subscription is £50 not £30.
    The money went towards the white jeep which is on the website lol.
    They are also doing a naming and shaming campaign in the carrigdhoun starting from january so that they will get every1 to pay for the service.(lol again)

Advertisement