Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Food

Options
  • 12-10-2001 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

Theres only a certain amount of time one can survive on pasta and take-aways......unfortunatly........

Tell me yer favourite (and easy to make) food stuffs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Ok heres some of my favs that are cheap and break some of the monotomy- Fortunately I live @ home so I'm not really scraping for foodstuffs- its a lifestyle choice I guess....

-Beans on toast
    -Rice (very cheap) w/ an uncle bens sauce mix-ie sweet & sour or barbeque chicken flavour(I'm a vegetarian but theres no meat in it)
    -Lentil Soup- lentils and a few other cheap veggies like onions, carrots, leeks- this really fluffs up really well when you boil it all together w/ a soup mix and is really filling
    -Cereals- Gawd what would I do w/out Kellogs... Frosties, Choco Flakes, All Bran (for the inner workings;)

Overall stick to the starches- they quench the hunger genrally- but try not to pack on the wheat bcos it cocks up your metabolism.

Theres some of my favs. If Subway Sandwiches were more widely available in Ireland I would live on them! I was on a J1 in New York in '99 and I lived on them for the summer. Aneway you probably wont fancy any of the above but...well you might!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Pork steaks, beans n toast
    Coupons from freshers week 2 15 inche pizzas
    chicken, rice, sweet and sour
    chinese over the road
    paddock if really hungery and fancy something spicey
    combinations of flat mates food

mmmmm mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I survive off anything spicy,

usually I do a nice curry or if the mood takes me a nice chilli for when im not in the mood to cook properly Which is most of the time, I survive on noodles and the occasional loaf of bread and a tonn of salami :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

80p: Subway! They rule! We need more subways! Just the one at the bottom of grafton street isn't enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

get some black bean sauce fri some chicken mix it in . get som rice and bingo

also

go home and while old parents arent looking take everything in the kitchen . this usualy works only one r twice a year as they will inspect your bags as you are leaving .

also

get 2 burgers ( cheep ones from tesco's )
    get 2 chicken burgers (same as above )
    waffel
    sauce of your choise i reccommend the ones that the collage canteen leaves out because they never expect ppl to take a box of sauces .
    and 3 sausages

put it all in 2 slices of bread and its perfect for when you just came in after a long night of drinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Indeed it is true, Subway does in fact RULE!!

We have one here in Galway, and it's only recently I bothered to try the food. I never go with the standard BLT type stuff, coz it's been done so many times before. Instead I went with their meatball foot long, with every spicy element on top, and dressed with chilli-sauce. NYOM :)

I have to admit it's a tad expensive, but because of my cocky personality I don't mind making up for it on free coke refills. ;)

But anway, nuff about Subway. I have to admit, I live on Pizza. Especially cold cheese pizza.

My ideal scenario would be to cook it, and leave for about 2 hours, top with some chilli, and fill a glass of coke.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

theres a subway in limerick now too, at the end of cruises street. havent been in there though.
    ok, student food...
    pasta or rice
    mmm...pork chops
    toast
    apples
    super noodles
    beans on toast
    beans
    eggs
    spaghetti hoops
    spaghetti hoops on toast
    bananas & cereal for breakfast
    goodfellas pizzas
    rashers & sausages
    eggs on toast
    rashers & sausages on toast
    ....and if all else fails, chicken curry, rice and chips from the paddock for £2.99 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Eggs are usually the best for high energy /small stomach space foodstuff. I used to eat lots of eggs before playing intense games of squash with my friends and would be catapulted round the court from the sheer fuel of them (!!)

But my best student days food was soup. I luckily had a hand belender at the time, if you can afford one (you can get very cheap ones nowadays from Argos around £10). Fry up some vegetables in a pot and put seasoning in to boot. After the veg is not quite yet cooked, put in water and a stock cube, then boil for 20-30 minutes. After that, blend it all up into a frothy brothy hotness and have some bread and butter and eggs (:p OK don't have eggs)

Actually a great egg recipe is French toast, it makes a great breakfast with tea and bacon. mix two eggs with salt and pepper and dip a slice of bread completely into the mixture, then fry until brown. MMMMmmmmnmmmmm Egggssssssssss!!

pprrrrrrppppp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

beans on toast
    and those donegal pasta and fish bakes
    oh and microwavable currys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

maybe we need a "We want more Subways" petition :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Hmm... lets see... student food. What do I eat...

CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS CHIIIIIIPS!
    ...and some cereal for the mornings :)

Thats about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

:D "combinations of flatmates food!" wan Greenhell, u cant get much easier to make than that!

Which is the tastiest Subway?, i must sample one of those when i get back to Galway next Friday, the bus drops me practically across the road from it but i usually head up to supermacs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Kento - you're in Castlebar, ya?

Caffola's chips (Castle Street, a few doors down from Stalkys) are (by all accounts) NYOM! I'm not a chip eater myself, but people I know go weak at the knees for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I LOVE caffolas chip's,
    I could live on them they take forever in there though.
    Never knew there was so many people in Castlebar.
    P.S Kharn are you goin to galway lan 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

-chicken soup
    -beans (cold outta da can = yum. and easy;))
    -plain old bread
    -cheap hot dogs in bread (cant afford proper hotdog 'buns')
    -ketchup / bbq sauce on bread/anything
    -cheap crisps
    -frozen mini pizzas
    -pasta (fills you right up and there's loads in a pack for about a pound)
    -bingo bars and meanies (snacky things for when your too lazy to go as far as the kitchen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

OMG!!! :D, theres nothing like a large bag of caffollas chips and 2 battered sausages after Stalkys on a thursday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well ok i'm on coop n i have a bit more money than i would were i in college but anyway:

Breakfast - cornflakes / branflakes(very filling!... well with the amount of em i eat :D)

I eat in a pub every day, tastes like crap but its cheap n hasn't killed me yet...

But when cooking for myself its usually something like, pizza chips n colslaw.

Savory past n peata bread n sometimes some crokets n wedges... i actually ate them all on the same nite one time (had missed lunch).

Or scrambled egg, beans n toast... if i bother goin to dunnes i usually buy salad stuff, love salads could live on salad sandwitches alone!

Thats about it really, don't really bother with fruit now n again maybe if i think to buy em.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

apples... i can live soley on apples.

but here are a few things i learned away from home.

pasta is great. through in a sauce. mmm fed for another day.
    stir fry. when all else fails. if you cant stir fry move back home YOU ARE NOT READY!
    chilli. you can through as much rap as you want in an it still tastes good. plus itll keep(but wrap it up real nice)

advice to anybody living away from home and eating on a shoe string. get somebody and share the cost. i did that for a while and i was cool. we take turn cooking and crap. it work out coz we were in the same class and thus had the same time table.

i would recommend it

j

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I just wouldn't recommend going to Roches stores for yer cheap scran though...
    henrystreet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The funny things about eating "student food" is that the most typical diets are way expensive, or at best, no cheaper than the cost of eating "real" food (I'm not a fan of frozen pizza and all that).

Here's what I would go for :

1) At start of term, get a decent stock of herbs and spices. Dont buy Sharwoods - go to a health-food store, or an Asian market, or somewhere like that...you pick up huge amounts for tiny cash.

2) Learn some "simple" recipes. Chicken wings, for example, are dirt cheap, and taste great when done with "complex" sauces like garlic in oil, or self-made chilli-rub, curry-rub, etc etc.

3) Rice and/or potatoes are *cheap*. Pasta aint too expensive either. Waffles and other "prepared" replacements are overpriced.

So, here's one of my faves from my college days...you use quantities to suit yourself and/or the number of people you cook for.

brown some mince
    add some veggies (onion and carrot usually, peppers if you have em)
    add a tin of baked beans (no, really!)
    add one of the following : some brown sauce, some worcestershire, or some Hoi Sin.
    simmer, and add any spices you are aprtial to.

Serve over boiled spud.

Done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement