Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of an embarrasing question... (Java related... well kinda)

Options
  • 11-10-2001 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

OK sorry if this seems a bit of a waste ye'r time and a stupid post. Mods if ye have a problem with this post ye'll get no agro from me. Move it if ye want, even delete it, I don't really mind. Y'see I have to ask this question it's been bothering me on and off for ages...

What the Hell is Duke? At least I think that's his name. Y'know the little Java mascot:

duke.wave.shadow.2.gif

I probably should know this and knowing my luck it's probably dead obvious too.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

i think he is a tooth as he was called fang when he appeared in the java animation applets u got free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well I thought that at first myself but then again what has a tooth got to do with Java?

A friend of mine thinks he's supposed to be a wizard and you can only see his hat, nose and big white beard.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I always thought he was a widget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ManWithName

Apparently, he is just a little UI "paperclip" type fellah.

http://java.sun.com/features/2001/06/goslingduke.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Wow so he's just some kinda wierd shaped character. Not really anything, I mean even that annoying paper-clip is actually a paper-clip. Ah well at least it wasn't so obvious that I should have been able to just guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I guess they have to make these software types more interesting by having something that we can relate to, something human or something that isn't as abstract as the language that it pertains to.

Perl has a camel for example. I can relate to that...
    Windows millenium is named after the previous milennium. I can definately relate to that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Perl- camel
    Linux- penguin
    Apache- feather
    MySQL- dolphin
    PostgreSQL- elephant
    Anymore I missed?

Advertisement