Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MYSQL installation

Options
  • 09-10-2001 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

hey. i'm once again tryintg to install MYSQL onto my PC. i am a real newbie at the more complicated **** like this so i dont have a clue how to use the manual. i just dont understand anything in it. it said to Unzip the files into an empty directory which i have done. next, it says to run the Setup.exe program. there is no Setup.exe program in the MYSQL files so what do i need to do? please keep this as simple as possible because i dont know much technical terms. but i'll get there, i just need a helping hand.
    cheers
    Fionn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Um, are you sure that you downloaded the Windows binary version ?
    as there is definitly a Setup.exe in there, I just checked :)

There is also a warning on the mysql.com site about corrupt downloads using "download accelerator software"
    so make sure you are not using that.

As for installing on windows, I havn't been there and I don't have the T-Shirt, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yngwie^

i just clicked on a link in the PHP Manual so i guess that was for the Linux version.
    anyway, i'm downloading the Windows version now.
    so we'll see how it goes.
    somehting always goes wrong with me and **** like that LOL.

i've done the setup and it seems to have installed.
    thanks
    i'll read the manual tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by yngwie^
    i just clicked on a link in the PHP Manual so i guess that was for the Linux version.

Oh my God... You deserve to be slapped with a large trout for that... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Hehehe.

.logic.

• Advertisement

all this **** is really confusing me because i'm so new and i'm usually doing that stuff at about 2Am so i'm tired then.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

You're the guy that was setting up the forum right? Can I ask you, why in the hell are you installing MySQL (a) at all, and (b) on your own PC???
    Sorry to be so scathing, but, as the Powercity guy would say, this madness must end now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭joev

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    You're the guy that was setting up the forum right? Can I ask you, why in the hell are you installing MySQL (a) at all, and (b) on your own PC???
    Sorry to be so scathing, but, as the Powercity guy would say, this madness must end now.

Indeed.

yngwie^, while your verve and enthusiasm are laudable, maybe you should consider learning to walk before you start attempting to run.

It seems clear that you know little programming, have no skills in the areas you are now dabbling (php, mysql) nor indeed, by your own admission, do you even understand the concepts presented to you by the accompanying documentation. (e.g. You mentioned that you don't even *understand* the mysql manual.)

I think it's great that you're enthusiastic and trying hard to learn this stuff, but not to sound too negative, you should maybe back off a little.

Go do some web-searching on Database concepts, programming logic, the difference between windows-executables and *NIX executables etc and then when you're armed with a basic groundwork you can start extending your reach.

At the moment, you're just flappin around like a chicken with it's head cut off because you don't have the basic background knowledge.

If you want recommendations on where to start aquiring this knowledge then I'm sure the bods here would be willing to point you in the right direction(s).

joev.

Advertisement