Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Question

Options
  • 29-02-2000 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I know the answer to this is "yes" but I need to be sure...

Are Win 98 and NT client happy working together on a 2 PC network?

One machine has 98 and one NT? Would much of an advantage be gained in having both machines running NT.

And don't anyone go saying I should install any form of Unix...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Depends what you want them to do. Is it peer to peer or is there a server involved somewhere ? Either way the clients will talk to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Um, yes and no.

WinNT is much happier with other WinNT boxes; it can talk to them securely, and set up nice domains for itself and whatnot.

NT4 and 98 can coexist tho.

Win2k and 98 is another story. 2k is much more secure than any other MS OS, and as such, it doesn't trust Win9x further than it can throw it, so you need to set up all kinds of permissions and such ****** for a 9x box to even SEE a 2k box on a network...

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Actually rob i don't think it's that difficult to get w2k to see 98 and visa versa, that said i installed it last night and couldn't see the 98 puter on the network. But i was told a while ago there was just 1 setting to change to rectify this and i'm arsed if i can remember what it was, i'll find out today though. Well pleased with w2k so far, went on to a dual boot and set up with no probs apart from not being able to use my TA yet.

Anybody know how to change the default os under the boot option, it boots to w2k after 20 secs if no keys are hit, I wanna change this to w98.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

barry, i presume you can just change which partition is active in fdisk.
    if win9x is in c drive, set this as active, or if its in the d drive, set this as active partition and the pc should then auto boot of the active partition.
    only other way i know is to get some sort of dual boot commander that will let you choose and you can set to what will auto boot if left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Shank you can change the default OS that it boots to and the time it takes, if I remember correctly in Win2k you go to control panel, system, advanced, start up and you can configure it in there

What does this do ??

[This message has been edited by TinCool (edited 01-03-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Hey andy, the simple truth is that unix is the way to go here. think about it, you can have the pleasure of wrtiting your own drivers for stuff, wait.... you could even do it in java. My, my, that's a whole new paradigm. even for me that is a stunningly good idea. We won't call it object orientated drivers, because elite hacker unix heads dont like anything that smacks of engineering or thought. Still, it'll be super-fast and excellent, and great fun and just generally wizard. Uh-oh, not sounding like an l33+ ha><or dude
    But, couldn't you install mac os and get a one button mouse? I know it won't work, but you wont need a computer when you're out scoring with all the ladies. Just a wondering....

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

Shank, the relevent file in NT was boot.ini which was read only. Dunno if this has changed for win2k but check and let us know.

Well w2k is default boot on mine and thats on the 2nd drive + 2nd partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

tincool was right on how to change the boot settings in win2k, been running it for a few weeks now and there is only two probs with it, NO SOUND BLASTER LIVE DRIVERS IN IT!!! (god dam it) and for some unknowen resin to me it crashes at anytime even when the system is idel, ps... this is not an amd error andy, phil, kev.

Ta lads
    I'll check it out when i get home

• Advertisement

P.s. Ignore any suggestions to change active partitions with fdisk as MS operating systems will only boot from the primary partition located on the first physical drive (unless this has changed with win2k). Other OSes such as unix/linux aren't so fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hey, you can change boot profiles with the active partition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

em....
    i told win2k when i was installing it to upgrade win98 and i thought this would just overwrite the old operating system as the little info box said (i think) but it took it upon itself to install win2k on the same drive as windows98 and leave win98 on it and make it a dual boot system but they are both on the same drive which isnt (and cant be partitioned for some reason).
    eh win2k loaded up after installing it grand everything seemed fine i reset it for something and then it gave me the option for win 2000 or win 98 i picked win98 and it says ntdetect failed and system crashes. i kinda know its borked but how can i get it off without having to backup over 10gbs o mp3s and games and reformatin?

ta redface.gif

Advertisement