Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Subscription Increase

Options
  • 04-10-2001 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭

Quote from NTL's public relations manager (Anna Maria Barry) in reference to the new subscription increase

Barry said NTL did not expect much fall off in business as a result of the move, "When people see what they get for their money, why would they change?"

hehehe...this has to be the funniest thing I've read this week!
    Less funny tho:

NTL plans to introduce broadband interactive services next year through set top boxes that have already been distributed to current digital customers. Furthermore the company said that in the third quarter of 2002, it will begin offering its long awaited high-speed Internet service that will let users connect to the Net with a computer using the same set top box.

NTL originally announced it would be providing a high speed Internet service in 2000, however the introduction of the service has been delayed on multiple occasions. The company has not yet determined prices for its planned Internet service.

Third quarter 2002???...with Eircom's offering overpriced and under review, are we EVER gonna get broadband for consumers in this country???? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

"When people see what they get for their money, why would they change?"

That seems to imply that we'll be getting more than we already have, but it seems that this is only the case if you upgrade to digital (if you're one of the few who can) which costs more.

So actually the analogue service is going to be more expensive, without any improvement !!

I know that NTL has to make itself sound attractive to customers, but sometimes it just gets a bit tiring when they're trying to make something that is bad news to subscribers, sound like we should all be delighted.

If and when ITV comes to Sky Digital, I'd imagine that many people will leave NTL, and do with a normal aeriel for Irish terrestrials and the minidish for all the rest. All you'd lose is Channel 4 and TV5.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If and when ITV comes to Sky Digital, I'd imagine that many people will leave NTL, and do with a normal aeriel for Irish terrestrials and the minidish for all the rest. All you'd lose is Channel 4 and TV5.

Yup..I'd be one of those - as soon as ITV arrives (November), the NTL subscription gets cancelled! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Came home this evening after working late to see an NTL envelope in my letterbox - expected this to be the bill with the subscription increase -

opened the envelope to find a bill for £0.00 !!!!

Payment Due by 12-10-2001 - I wonder will they cut me off for not paying ?????

My own view that it is not worth the increase - I will go with Sky Digital and get a cheapy aerial to pick up the local crap, not that I look at it anyways.

I suppose they need the increase to pay for all the £0.00 bills that they send out .......!!!

Does the ODTR explain WHY ? the hike is justified ????

Furthermore the company said that in the third quarter of 2002, it will begin offering its long awaited high-speed Internet service that will let users connect to the Net with a computer using the same set top box.

Just re-read this part (I musta been asleep yesterday ;)) - erm...does this mean that in order to get cable access for your
    PC you'll HAVE to sign up for their Digital TV package in order to get the box I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just re-read this part (I musta been asleep yesterday ) - erm...does this mean that in order to get cable access for your
    PC you'll HAVE to sign up for their Digital TV package in order to get the box I wonder?

Yep I think so...and it'll cost more on top of course!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Yep I think so...and it'll cost more on top of course!

Wonderful! Tho a friend of mine who lived in the States said that that's how they do it over there. So in theory then I'd have to pay for their basic Digital TV package (which I'll NEVER watch as I have Sky), plus box rental, plus then £50-60 a month (goin on UK prices) for Cable Modem access and whatever else they decide to charge for.....two words: R I P O F F ! ! :(

Advertisement