Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Disconnection ....

Options
  • 02-10-2001 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Here's my experience of Chorus over the past 12 months. I was subscribing to their £18.00 per month package plus paid an additional £10 for Sky Premier.
    When I discovered a neighbour of mine had Sky Digital (14 movie channels, sports etc) for £4 more per month I didn't hang around to be loyal to the Irish provider, I ordered Sky Digital and have never regretted that move.
    Next move was to get rid of Chorus, but my wife wanted some UTV & Channel 4 programs so we decided to remove the premier movie subscription and stick with them for £18 per month ….. for a while.
    I called Chorus and was informed that they couldn’t remove this package as the encryption used was old technology. They agreed to stop charging me for Sky premier. Therefore, as a result of getting Sky Digital, both my chorus decoders had Premier free !!. However we never availed of it, as we soon discovered that the quality of the Chorus signal was very poor when compared to the digital from Sky. Analogue TV was therefore NOT watched in our home.

About 6 months later Chorus discovered that I had an additional decoder which they had not been charging me for. A letter was sent to my home indicating that money was due to the tune of £5 per month !! This was when I decided to cut loose from them and do without UTV and Channel 4. Had to give 30 days notice in writing before disconnection occurred.

However, they means of disconnecting was bizarre. All they wanted was the decoder boxes. They told me they’d leave the aerial on the roof. I actively encouraged them to remove their aerial but they were having none of it, so now I’m left with a Chorus aerial on my roof even though I’m not a subscriber.

Is this a policy to let householders think they are not ‘alone’ as Chorus subscribers !
    Who owns the aerial ? Is it mine ? … or do they have the right to access my property at any time to remove it !
    And before anyone asks, YES, it is the MMDS aerial that they left on the roof.

Any other funny disconnection experiences out there!

Comments

exact same as yours except I took down the aerial myself later-finders keepers imo!!!
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

There have been cases were mmds aerials have never been taken down. Or else they take of the pointy thing and leave the vertical stand(pole).

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Same thing happened with me last year. I didn't want the aerial on the roof and repeatedly asked them to remove it. In the end I sent them an invoice for rental space on my roof for their aerial. An engineer was dispatched within a week!!
    Problem solved (Ha ha ha):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

when i got rid of these clowns in one of their prior incarnations they took the aerial first then the box about 3 weeks later. the invoice for rental space on the roof. LOL, an absolute classic :p:p

plus interest-cash is thirty days:D
    mm

• Advertisement

Speaking of aerials i swore i saw an mmds aerial by the side of the road.
    It was located on the faranlea road (in cork) while i was on my way to the motor tax place. I should have stoped and nicked the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

I had the same expierience with the aerial being left on the roof about five months.

Last week managed to get my hands on a Chorus analogue decoder. Can anyone tell me if it is worth trying to hook the decoder up to the aerial or would the signal be blocked in some way ???

If you got the decoder unoffically its illegal and it could cost ya.
    But if chorus dont want it back its ok.

Hello nero,
    I know this will be hard to believe,given how bad the chorus service is-but unfortunately,just about the only technology they got right was the matching of subscribers accounts to the serial numbers on the stb's (if thats what they are....???).
    so its highly unlikely that the STB will work for you,
    But you never know-they being famous for their ineffeciencies......you might get to see crapus after all (but I doubt it)
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Got a flyer in the letterbox from Chorus yesterday, advertising the 'Premiership Plus' deal where you could buy a season ticket for £50, and as part of a special offer, you get 50% off the connection to digital fee, ie now only £10 as opposed to £20. This is significant drop to what they were charging a few months ago.

I know an installer who is based in their Cork office, and he said take up was 'dismal', and Sky were hitting them really hard, with disconnections far outweighing new connections.
    Interesting times ahead, I think.

• Advertisement

The only people who have chorus is the chorus employees and the people who still have chorus aerials regardless wether they are connected or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 jdf

I disconnected from Chorus in or around June of this year. To date I still have the decoders - all they did was cut the cable at the side of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I left the box into their shop in Athlone so I wouldn't have to wait around for them to come and pick it up. But the roof was a different matter. I wanted them to remove it so we could get Sky Digital. I didn't want Sky installed first in case the chorus guy whacked the dish when he came around.

It took ages to get organised. THey eventually removed it and the Sky guy re-used the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

In a cable situation how does disconnection work?

I'm living a house that's being rented for the first time, we told the landlady that we didn't want to keep the cable service so she got it disconnected. when we moved in there was no sign of it, we assumed the decoder had been returned, chorus called one day lloking for it, we didn't have it, so we told them we knew nowt.

then one day one of the lads found an coax cable behind a cupboard in his room, and we hooked it up to the telly, we have loadsa channels, well the standard ones, all the english, discovery, granada, eurosport and sky news. but no decoder.

Is this normal?

or should someone have come and cut the cable on us?

also I have put a booster/splitter I got from argos and Have 2 tellies downstairs running fine off it, but the one upstairs isn't as clear as it was downstairs, I guess the cable run is too long.

Anyway, Is this all chorus will be expected to do, or will they come one day and take back our beautiful free cable?

John

Advertisement