Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ on the web

Options
  • 02-10-2001 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hello there,
    Im just wondering if C++ is compatible for a web site. Can C++ be used to create web sites, or do you need to link it to some html file that would execute it ??

hertz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Dave,

If you are doing server side web stuff, ie a program that generates web pages depending on what parameters the program received. I recommend you delve in to either Java or ASP. The better of the two being Java of course. But ASP is easier, but only runs on IIS (MS Main HTTP Server, which runs on a muppet platform) there are other alternatives such as CGI, but I think that's dead and gone, since we have such better ways today.

C++ is not really a web language. Java is!!. Some ppl also find Java easier to learn than C++. So don't be put off by Java programmers telling you otherwise, it's not that hard at all.

I know up to this point Dave, you have been doing structured programming proceedures using C++ syntax, and have not yet had core experience with OO. I do know you are learning it right now, but wait until you have some more experience. Because you cannot write a Java program in a structured manner. Everything is OO!!. This is a good thing, and it is not that hard to learn. But when I started learning Java (as my first OO language), I was thrown a bit before I grasped the OO mindset.

Dave if you are interested in using Java for server side web stuff, reply on this thread, and I will do my best to get you sorted out in no time. Your project is interesting (for second year), and you can really do a lot of kewl things with it. There is a lot of info I can give you. At this stage I don't think anyone reffering you to a web site is going to get you anywhere. I will show you some weekend on my machine at home.

;-phobos-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Or PHP. Or Perl. Or Python. Or Cold Fusion. Or C. Or VB.

Yes, C and C++ can be used for web development, using CGI for the most part, but in this day and age it's a bit passé, since there are so many alternatives available with hooks already built-in. But if you want to try your hand, here's a few tutorials:

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Documentation/Programming_Languages/Programming_in_C_and_C++/

[That site also has some scripts and other information, you might want to begin at the beginning:

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/

Me, I recommend PHP, but I would never be so presumptious as to push you into one particular choice. Each to his or her own. :)

adam

Advertisement