Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is'nt Norn Iron TV Crap?

Options
  • 28-09-2001 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else here pi**ed off with UTV and BBC NI
    and their crappy programming which knocks good, proper programmes the rest of the Uk watches into a late night
    slot or shunts them off entirely.

Kelly, Give My Head Peace, John Daly, McKeever,
    not to mention Town Challange (I said don't mention Town
    Challange!) and all the rest, dreadful TV in every respect,
    yet NTL and Chorus presume we in the republic are interested,
    we're not, or at least I'm not.

Sorry for the rant, but I'd sooner be slumped in front of
    They Think Its all Over than John Daly and his c-list guests.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

I think "give my head peace" is brilliant but the rest are crap especially town challenge. Anyway it could be worse s4c for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

S4C...

Its not part of either BBC or Itv but yes you're right its
    unwatchable mainly cos its in Welsh, I used to live in a
    rural area which had a deflector service which meant S4C
    not C4 and I was thrilled to bits when I moved into the city.
    As they say eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

I fully agree.
    Every single weeknight, BBC1 NI have their own programmes at 10.35 Sky High/Spotlight/Student Life(??)/Ian Paisley documentary (this week) etc.
    They've ruined Friday night completely with 'Give My Head Peace' at 8.30pm, 'John Daly' at 9pm and the abominable 'Hugo and Friends' (is this possibly the worst programme of all time?) at 10.35pm.
    They have by far the most prime-time regional variations, much more than Scotland and Wales. Where the hell are they getting all the funding from, and even more importantly, who is authorising this drivel to be brodcast at peak viewing time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

be grateful you have them. so what if they opt out. perhaps those in Northern Ireland like these programmes. afterall they do pay for them. i wont comment on UTV because i haven't seen it in years and have HTV. it is up to you to talk to the cable companies. if i remember rightly my local cable company had UTV but got such a bolocking they switched it to the HTV region in Wales

Htv is the best,by far..!:)
    The thing about s4c is that it was set up so as to take all the welsh language programmes off BBC one and two wales and HTV wales so they were left with an entirely Enlish language output.
    The problem though of course was that you were left with practically no prime time room for the Channell four programmes it was meant to carry-Brookside being on at ten p.m for instance.... and if theres an Eistedfod on (Welsh cultural festival)-Brookie can be seen at the insomniac hour of five to midnight-
    With the tren to digital,S4c digital is now entirely welsh, whilst sky dig viewers in Wales have access to the English ch 4 as well asd s4c
    Eventually the analogue shutdown will mean welsh people as well as those of us in Ireland who have had S4c will have access to Channel four -either through Irish DTT or Sky dig-it is just going to take a while as the politicking in this country is****ed up big style:mad:
    Remember we have a td in this country whose sole election platform (pardon the pun) was the deflector issue.
    In these days of minority governments , how can anything be organised quickly and properly enough.

Historically of course Ireland has been slow to enter the modern era of television-and some things never change
    sorry folks for the rant -but it would annoy ya wouldnt it???:mad:
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Leesider
    I fully agree.

I disagree. NI TV is great and it is the best it has been for years. But I must say all the good stuff comes from the BBC. UTV is rubbish, however, unless there is someone interesting on Kelly - and even then it is pretty poor. What I will say in UTV's defence is that they do try and have UTV live at 10.20 whenever they have a local programme following instead of the designated 11.20 slot.

Every single weeknight, BBC1 NI have their own programmes at 10.35 Sky High/Spotlight/Student Life(??)/Ian Paisley documentary (this week) etc.
    The Student LIfe programme was great (partially because I know someone in it) and the Paisely doc was fascinating.

They've ruined Friday night completely with 'Give My Head Peace' at 8.30pm,
    Absolutely Brilliant show - hillarious.

'John Daly' at 9pm
    Not seen it much but a darn sight better than Kelly
    and the abominable 'Hugo and Friends' (is this possibly the worst programme of all time?) at 10.35pm.
    Not seen it but it does look appauling.

They have by far the most prime-time regional variations, much more than Scotland and Wales. Where the hell are they getting all the funding from
    I think they get more than their fair share of the licence fee. English lf payers probably don't get a fair share.

, and even more importantly, who is authorising this drivel to be brodcast at peak viewing time??

Patrick Kiely Live was brilliant (okay it was a national show with presumably more funding) but I thought it was great.

I suppose you may not like it as much if you're from Da Sout, but I do. And Newsline is a very good news programme.

that Patrick Kielty show was great-very funny-cannot understand how he got away with half the stuff-but then spitting image lasted for many moons and was a hoot too.
    mm

Is there anything stopping Chorus and NTL
    from re transmitting other regional variations or indeed
    the unmolested "straight from London" version of a channel?

And look what time Fridays episode of The Bill is on...
    bloody outrageous!

another reason to like HTV-Fridays episode of the Bill is at nine and NO KELLY.
    mm
    NTL by the way could get HTV every bit as clear off the air as I do down here in Wexford for their Dublin Customers-start a campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it was the same way when i had Cork/Irish Multichannel. things on UTV used to put on at crazy times, sometimes not shown at all to accomodate UTV live programming while my neighbours who had HTV from a deflector had all the programmes at proper times. madman is right, start a campaign. you would be better off with HTV Wales

• Advertisement

I live in Waterford so I don't care what the Dubs are lookin' at!:D
    but yeah, I'd sign up to a HTV NOW! campaign.

Apparantly, PC Vicky Hagen gets her kit off in next Fridays episode- better set the video!
    er better put that in a different forum....:eek:

Yummie......:)!

Advertisement