Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enigma

Options
  • 28-09-2001 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

This week sees the release of Enigma, based upon Thomas Harris’ novel,
    directed by Michael Apted and Starring Kate Winslet. Wartime codebreakers at Bletchley Park are caught up in a web of intrigue when one of their number goes missing, amidst rumours of espionage.

Just thought I'd remind ppl. If you go see it give us a review.

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The book started out great and dissolved into a romantic mess. I doubt the film will fare much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

the film lks the part, the crowd scenes are crowded, the clothes lk like they're from the perid, nothing seems out of place. but ... well that's about all there is to it it, surface.

the plot if a v poor sub-39 steps formula that overwrites history equally as bad as the likes of u571 overwrote history.

turing is totally removed, his part given to a v positely, most definitely red-blooded heterosexual dougray scott. kate winslett lks like a frump. saffron burrows has the most amazing red lipstick.

there's more holes in the plot than you'd fine in a lump of swiss cheese.

at best, this would have been only an efficient movie. as it is, it isn't even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by SweetBirdOfTruth

turing is totally removed, his part given to a v positely, most definitely red-blooded heterosexual dougray scott. kate winslett lks like a frump. saffron burrows has the most amazing red lipstick.

Ah, I was wondering what they were going to do about Turing - whether they were going to leave him in (he being important to what actually went on) or leave him out, not fitting into a Titanic Story With Something Happening In The Background.

Mmmmm, Saffron Burrows....mmmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Kate Winslet being a frump- nice to see her actings staying consistant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i've read serveral book's on bletchley park and the enigma machine in general and i can say for a fact that i won't go to see this in a million years.
    its just another "lets make a love story, sheet, better give it a differnet time/place from the audiance. hmmm second world war is v.popular at the moment, lets do that"

there was an article about the film in the sunday times last week written by robert harris (authoer of hte book) which sort of glossed over the film, and mainly talked about the book and how it became a film - the film it self didn't come accross very well from the review from teh authoer - thats not a good thing now is it.....

the bottoms line: if you can't make a film about codebreaking in a shed in the middle of the country interesting just make stuff up until your target audiance finds a love plot........

/me wanders of ranting to himself.... i'll get them... day of vergance is at hand....

• Advertisement
Advertisement