Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urine may be just the tonic for diesel emissions!

Options
  • 27-09-2001 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

A chemical originally extracted from urine could help reduce emissions from diesel engines. A specially converted truck has been fitted with a urea solution injector and is now testing the theory. Dutch scientists hope the urea could reduce diesel emissions by up to 80%. Urea is a nitrogen-rich organic compound found naturally in urine which can now be manufactured.

It is injected into a catalytic converter where the heat converts it into ammonia. It then reacts with the harmful nitrogen oxides transforming them into harmless nitrogen and water vapour. New Scientist reports trucks with 230 gallon diesel tanks will need an extra 13 gallon tank for the urea solution. The system is being developed by the Dutch national laboratory TNO, truck maker DAF and the catalytic converter manufacturer Engelhard.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "I was pi$$ing along in the car" :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Here's a stupid idea - why not fit large haul trucks, which long distance truckers spend most of their day in, with urinal facilities in which the urea can be extracted directly?

btw.....PATENTED IDEA BY ME AS SOON AS I POSTED IT NAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Better yet....you can create fuel from pig sh1t. So why not modify seats in these trucks into toilets where human excretia can be converted into the natural gases whch can easily power it......

I mean c'mon they talk enough of it....why not put it to use.......

[EDIT] PATENTED!!!! [/EDIT]

Advertisement