Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Planning P. for this?

Options
  • 04-11-2005 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Ive decided to convert my garage to a bedroom, the garage being adjacent to the house, facing out onto a main road(around 15' driveway). I'm putting in a window at the same height as the others on the front of the house, so it matches up, and will pebbledash the blockwork when ready aswell. All will be done in accordance with build regs including the inside of the bedroom - sound, damp, fire, etc.
    The question is, do you think I will need proper planning for this? Doesnt that mean I'll have to wait 8 weeks before I can start? or can I apply, and also begin work, getting it to a certain stage? Does anyone know what my options are?
    Any help or advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Should be straightforward enough.I think there is something about if it has a seperate front door.(like a granny flat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Just a quick thought on this makes me remember that when I was checking the planning reg's for my extension that there was something in there that said PP was not required to convert an existing garage once it did not extend beyond the front line of the house and it was an existing garage structure. Can't remember exactly, I have a couple of beers onboard at the mo so I'll look it up and get back to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Thanks for the input lads, Beller B, no it just has a window, no door.
    Craggel, Lookin forward to hearing from your sober thoughts!
    The neighbour is a bit of a nosey oul bag so I just want to make sure of the rego's before i start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Howdy sobered up now! Try this link hopefully it works if not log onto www.dublincity.ie go to planning from the site map and look for planning applications. Then go to exemptions and tada there ya go. It doesn't seem to be as black and white as when I checked but there is a bit more info there for you anyway.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Domestic%20Exemptions%20Circular%20Mar%202002_tcm35-8524.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Based on the very good guide posted by craggel and equally you description of the neighbour I would be inclined to visit the planning office and ask them their opinions.

If they are positive and the very often are about small domestic works, I would then ask them for an official Certificate of Exemption on the conversion.

You will most likely have to provide drawings of the proposed works, but as far as I recall they are not as detailed as those needed for full Planning Permission.

When you have the Certificate of Exemption safely in your hands make a couple of copies and you can give one to the neighbour if she wants to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just a thought.....are there other houses in your street that have the same work done?

it might be worth asking if there is...

when we bought in our estate off the plans 9 yrs ago, the house was standard with the garage but the option was there to have the room converted for the very small price of £1000 at the time. Needless to say that 90% of th houses that were built had the conversion. If thats the case, would the PP not be in for that kind of work in the whole estate?

Advertisement