Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-lite softfone and blueface problem

Options
  • 04-11-2005 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I set up blueface on my home phone using their router and all was fine.
    I installed x-lite on my laptop so i can answer the phone at work. Just discovered that when x-lite is running the phone at home wont ring. Only the laptop will ring. But there's worse. Even when i quit x-lite the phone at home wont ring anymore. it goes straight to voicemail. When i reboot the computer the phone at home will them ring.
    Has anyone had this problem?
    Is it possoble to use a softphone on a computer but to also allow the phone to ring at home in case there is anyone in the house?
    Can the problem of having to reboot be solved?
    Is there another softphone that can be used instead which will not cause these problems. A lot of questions i know, but its bugging me now.

Correction : It looks like i have to reboot my router at home to stop the calls going to voicemail, whether the laptop is on or off after using x-lite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Just tried with expresstalk softphone and got exactly the same problems.
    Looks like i have a choice. Use the softphone and break the phone at home, or dont use the softphone hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Although you don't see it, your SIP client (hardware router or softphone) logs in. Incoming calls get routed to whichever client is logged in. So if you run your softphone, it logs in, the router gets logged out and all calls go to that. If you quite softphone, it logs out and nobody is logged in so your calls go to voice mail. Chances are that the router re-attempts a log in every so often (if it's logged out) and your calls get routed to it after a while.

I had always thought it would be a nice feature to be able to log in from multiple clients so I could, for example, answer the phone from here in work if there was nobody at home.

Got a reply from blueface support and they solved the problem.
    You need a seperate login name for the 2 devices.
    Fastest support response of any company i have ever dealt with.
    Thanks blueface

Good lads.

Tell my Jimmy, when you ring your VoIP, does it ring at both stations with the multiple logins?

That'd be a handy feature to have.

Hi father. Sorry didnt see your post earlier. It does ring now with the second login. And if i answer it at one station it stops ringing at the other now which is just what i wanted. This is what i thought would make voip worth it. Its great.

Only 2 problems i have now is that the dial tone doesnt change when i have voicemail like it did with Eircom.
    And It takes about 20 seconds after dialing a number before the other phone im calling starts ringing.

But even if i cant get them fixed i'm extremly happy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

JimmySmith wrote:
    And It takes about 20 seconds after dialing a number before the other phone im calling starts ringing.

When you're finished dialling the number, press the # key.
    That'll send the digits immediately, no delay.

hth,
    causal

JimmySmith wrote:
    ... the dial tone doesnt change when i have voicemail like it did with Eircom.
    That's true. We have noticed though that the phone rings briefly if there is voicemail to be picked up.

That's true. We have noticed though that the phone rings briefly if there is voicemail to be picked up.

I'll make a new thread to ask questions about voicemail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

Send a message to aaron.clauson@blueface.ie and ask him to create a new username. username for your router and username2 for your soft phone.

I was a bit suprised that they don't do that by default

:v:

thanks redrooster.
    aaron did that for me the first day i posted here. he was very helpful everytime i called. cant praise him enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

Yeah, I got that from your posts above. It really was a message to everyone else to contact them to get another username for their soft phone.

Advertisement