Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Fired Boiler Problem

Options
  • 04-11-2005 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

My in law's indoor oil fired boiler has started to run intermittantly.
    When switched on it will run for around 3 minutes, will then shut down for 30secs, then run again for 3 minutes and so on.
    His local plumber has suggested that the inlet flue is blocked, I checked this and it is not the case.
    The controller was changed by same plumber, problem is still there.
    This cant be the first boiler to do this, i find it amazing that an experienced plumber cant work out what is wrong.
    Can anyone out there help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Last year our one was cutting out from overheating. Dial back the temp. a bit, and see does it cure it. Then you can crank it up a notch at a time.

This only temporarily fixed ours. Turned out the inlet was blocked. Did the plumber check? It was in the air intake in the burner in ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

It happens within 5 minutes of starting so the water would only be luke warm at this stage so I dont think it is an overheat.
    I checked the flue my self it is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

What make is the boiler, and the burner ?
    Try taking off the front cover and, as a temperary measure, disconnect the air intake hose from the burner.
    If it runs without cutting out, then you know that it is something to do with the air intake. There is no problem disconnecting this hose for a while, although there is a chance that the extra airflow will cause the flame to float away and the burner will cut out. It is worth trying.

Jim.

Advertisement