Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skatepark articles:21 skateparks for ireland!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Its great that there is money being invested to be honest but this is where a Skateboarding Association of Ireland would come in really handy ... they could administer and advise on how to spead the money .... i am sure lots of us have seen that magazine that has all the dud park built by local councils who haven't got a clue on how to design a park.

Is there anyone speak to any of these councils ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

we were organising an official skateboarding association last year, Unfortunatly i got injured and dropped out of the scene for a while so i'm not sure what the current situation is.
    Shaggy would be the man to talk to and hes usally on the forums,just cant renember his nick atm.

Hullo ..... Shaggy .... you there ?? ..... Shaggy ?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

in all fairness, does anyone think that we will have more that four built in the next ten years, think about it, Maynooth skatepark, Lucan skate park the council SAYS they are going to put it into high priority, but realistically it goes to the bottom of the agenda.

• Advertisement

asto wrote:
    in all fairness, does anyone think that we will have more that four built in the next ten years, think about it, Maynooth skatepark, Lucan skate park the council SAYS they are going to put it into high priority, but realistically it goes to the bottom of the agenda.

I know ... but if there is money signed off for them .... then that has to be manged properly !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

two years ago lucan was awarded 150,00 0 euro and we are still waiting for a design! Although i did recieve word today that it has been awarded a further 100,000 bringing the total to 250,000, thats the reason there was delays, The design was withdrawn, and a new design is being drawn up now!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the Maynooth one, one of the councillors told me 'off the record' that KCC are extremely scared of insurance and that their insurers won't insure a concerete skatepark, which sounds like utter crap. He could also have been going off the docs from the 1980's/1990's mind.

Either way, the cash is usually there, but the wheels of buerocracy roll utterly slowly. And they seem to assume that skaters aren't voters. I am, anyway, dunno about anyone else here, and I've made a point of reminding councillors that, a number of times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

MYOB wrote:
    On the Maynooth one, one of the councillors told me 'off the record' that KCC are extremely scared of insurance and that their insurers won't insure a concerete skatepark, which sounds like utter crap. He could also have been going off the docs from the 1980's/1990's mind.

Either way, the cash is usually there, but the wheels of buerocracy roll utterly slowly. And they seem to assume that skaters aren't voters. I am, anyway, dunno about anyone else here, and I've made a point of reminding councillors that, a number of times...

Yeah thats utter crap allright, all councils are with the same insurers and concrete parks are not a problem. Concrete parks are actually a better bet for the insurers cos they don't need lots of maintenance so prooving negligence is very hard.

We will be advising any councils that wish to use us on how to go about building a quality park and pointing them towards reputable park builders.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

shagman wrote:
    Yeah thats utter crap allright, all councils are with the same insurers and concrete parks are not a problem. Concrete parks are actually a better bet for the insurers cos they don't need lots of maintenance so prooving negligence is very hard.

We will be advising any councils that wish to use us on how to go about building a quality park and pointing them towards reputable park builders.

Hrm, right. Thanks. Will mention that to the next councillor who trys to pull that one on me

Everybody else - if you're >18, remind the councillors that you're a voter; if you pay the council in any way - bin charges, business rates, etc; remind them of that too.... might help sway them a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

The latest news regarding The Cork skateparks is that we are getting four in total.The one In Ballypheane will be fully built and open in January 06,Ballincollig is going to tender as soon as possible.This week it has been announced that a third skatepark is to be built on council property at the Maradyke in the west side of the city close to u.c.c.After this is finished the proposed by laws banning street skating in all public placed will be introduced,That is what the council are proposing at the mo.There is a council meeting this monday,so far one councillor is against the ban.There is a skatepark meeting next week where hopefully plans will be on view!!
    you can see news paper articles here: ://www.irishextreme.tkI have three more articles to put up so wait a day or two before you click the link.

p.s the fourth skatepark in going to be intergrated into the docklands development!!!Its going to be three or four years before that one comes our way.Any how three in Cork before next summer and another in Tralee not too far away and killtorcan getting one hell of a makeover ..not too bad at all!!!

ORIGONALLY POSTED BY SHAGGY:

LOCAL AUTHORITY LOCATION GRANT AMOUNT
    Clare Co. Council Lees Road Sports & Amenity Park, Drumcliffe, Ennis €90,000
    Cork Co. Council Great Island, Ballincollig €100,000
    Donegal Co. Council Ballymacool, Letterkenny €60,000
    Dun Laoire/ Rathdown Co. Council Monkstown Pool & Fitness Centre €100,000
    Dublin City Council John Paul II Park, Cabra €100,000
    Fingal Co. Council Millenium Park, Blanchardstown €100,000
    Galway Co. Council The Palace Grounds, Tuam €100,000
    Galway City Council Westside Sports Park, Westside €100,000
    Kerry Co. Council Traleee Sports & Leisure Centre, Tralee €150,000
    Laois Co. Council Proposal for mobile facility €35,000
    Limerick Co. Council O`Brien Park, Clare Street €125,000
    Louth Co. Council Ashling Park, Dundalk €90,000
    Meath Co. Council Dunboyne Park, Dunboyne €45,000
    Monaghan Co. Council Mullaghmatt, Monaghan Town €42,000
    Offaly Co. Council Tullamore Town Park, Tullamore €72,000
    South Dublin Co. Council Lucan Sports & Leisure Centre €100,000
    Waterford Co. Council Tramore Town €140,000
    Waterford City Council Peoples Park, Park Road €140,000
    Westmeath Co. Council Athlone Regional Sports Centree €150,000
    Wexford Co. Council Gorey Town Park €110,000
    Wicklow Co. Council Greystones €150,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J-Me

I read in the examiner that kilkenny were getting a funding to develope the quarry skatepark too.

I from tipperary town. If the government gave us a 100 euro we could probley build a state-of-the-art skating facility :D

Oh, Look, my county council bolloxed up, again.

80 years of Fianna Fail, I kinda hoped the new non-FF council would actually do stuff they promised to. and they didn't. Woo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

Apparently the one for greystones will be up and running soon enough. About 17 years afetr I first rode a board...:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

there is one being built in Dunshaughlin at the mo....should be done in Feb the ccouncil said but they suck. it was meant to built last summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

wideangle wrote:
    ORIGONALLY POSTED BY SHAGGY:

LOCAL AUTHORITY LOCATION GRANT AMOUNT
    Clare Co. Council Lees Road Sports & Amenity Park, Drumcliffe, Ennis €90,000
    Cork Co. Council Great Island, Ballincollig €100,000
    Donegal Co. Council Ballymacool, Letterkenny €60,000
    Dun Laoire/ Rathdown Co. Council Monkstown Pool & Fitness Centre €100,000
    Dublin City Council John Paul II Park, Cabra €100,000
    Fingal Co. Council Millenium Park, Blanchardstown €100,000
    Galway Co. Council The Palace Grounds, Tuam €100,000
    Galway City Council Westside Sports Park, Westside €100,000
    Kerry Co. Council Traleee Sports & Leisure Centre, Tralee €150,000
    Laois Co. Council Proposal for mobile facility €35,000
    Limerick Co. Council O`Brien Park, Clare Street €125,000
    Louth Co. Council Ashling Park, Dundalk €90,000
    Meath Co. Council Dunboyne Park, Dunboyne €45,000
    Monaghan Co. Council Mullaghmatt, Monaghan Town €42,000
    Offaly Co. Council Tullamore Town Park, Tullamore €72,000
    South Dublin Co. Council Lucan Sports & Leisure Centre €100,000
    Waterford Co. Council Tramore Town €140,000
    Waterford City Council Peoples Park, Park Road €140,000
    Westmeath Co. Council Athlone Regional Sports Centree €150,000
    Wexford Co. Council Gorey Town Park €110,000
    Wicklow Co. Council Greystones €150,000

I live in gorey and am on the main designing team for this park the company designing it is called freestyle in the UK they have a 2D plan of the park it is very hard to understand right now in 2D but looks very small for a skatepark
    and on th8e plan is a big emty space too the plans are retty poor quality as of yet but ive seen some of there finished plans there pretty impressive
    best of luck to all towns trying for a ark it is ossible but i just cant see this being finished for next summer like the council said i mean its not even fully planned out we have planning ermission but someonme is objecting can they do anything at this stage?

weeder wrote:
    I live in gorey and am on the main designing team for this park the company designing it is called freestyle in the UK they have a 2D plan of the park it is very hard to understand right now in 2D but looks very small for a skatepark
    and on th8e plan is a big emty space too the plans are retty poor quality as of yet but ive seen some of there finished plans there pretty impressive
    best of luck to all towns trying for a ark it is ossible but i just cant see this being finished for next summer like the council said i mean its not even fully planned out we have planning ermission but someonme is objecting can they do anything at this stage?

If anyone was any good with AutoCAD or Pro Engineer, they could knock up a few 3D images for the plans, i know that pro engineer you can make a little clip traveling through the 3D image, would give a great idea of how it'll look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

weeder wrote:

What the objections about?

Freestyle are serious about what they're doing. I assume you've been dealing with a bloke from Belfast called Steve Crawford who works for Freestyle? He's been skating for well over 15 years and knows exactly what he's at. Their design guy is well good and knows AutoCad/3DMax/whatever inside out. Check their site for other designs they've done. Complaining about 2D designs is a bit much though - after all, the design company is trying to give you what you've asked for - a park that caters for BMXers and skaters alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭lifesgood

was on a web site nd it had a list of irish skateparks and one of them was skate heaven phoenix park apparently its wooden nd theres a shop aswell i find i hard ta beleive does anyone know about it http://www.concretedisciples.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

I think that's a wind-up
    That listing has been there for a couple of years & there's nothing in Phoenix park (as far as I know anyway)

Somebody obviously has too much free time on their hands.....

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Yeah that wind-ups been around for a couple of years now!:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sfnk!

i recently started skating again, so i was wondering....are there no skateparks in Cork? or like the near area?

It just seems wierd that there wouldnt be one in Cork, cuz i see alot of skaters around on the streets.

maradyke skatepark and ballincollig skatepark google search either of dem and youll find out wer dey are nd wat da layouts like nd al dat

im new ta dis so can anyone tel me how to start a new thread

There is a three piece skatepark in Ballypheane,but noone uses it as it is too small and slippy.All it is is a quarter a fun box and a flatbank.

The Maradyke skatepark should be built by September and Ballincollig by August.Ballincollig is going to be modular and the Maradyke concrete.There is problems with the tendering of Ballincollig at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Atm I am trying to propose a skatepark being built in Claremorris, Mayo. There are no other parks in the county and I know its a longshot. But if you dont try you wont know.

Feedback thus far has been generally good, but with county councillors they say what you want to hear. Hopefully in a few weeks Ill get a concrete answer.

Would be good to have a skatepark in the "eye" of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

shortys94 wrote: »
    Hopefully in a few weeks Ill get a concrete answer.

Stealth Pun; Winning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

dr.quirky wrote: »
    Stealth Pun; Winning

:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement