Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaking Floorboards !!

Options
  • 03-11-2005 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hello,
    I am looking to put down a new carpet soon but I would like to stop the floorboards from creaking, is there an easy solution for doing this without taking up the floorboards?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

You could screw a thin layer of ply to the floor and lay a carpet on this.

I think I remember that shaking flower into the cracks might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,336 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Find out if the floor boards are actually structurally adequate.

Use screws (not nails / brads) to tighten up the looser boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I agree with Victor, screws have less impact on the ceilings below the joist, take care regardless of which fixing you decide to use, there may be pipes or cables close to the surface or checked into the joist.

We have had more than one emergency call where the home owner drove screws straight into the central heating pipes, turned out the reason for the creaking boards was the floor boards had very little bearing on the joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes all good advice and also look out for the reverse.

I found a screw had been screwed into one of my floorboards upstairs suspiciously in the middle of the board. On unscrewing I discovered a heating pipe had been screwed into and when I took it out - whoosh!

Extra support at joists can be made with an extra piece of wood being cut and screwed into the side of the joist to give extra strength to the board resting ontop. This is especially useful if they have been cut for access in the past and aren't supported well below.

Redman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stts

Thankyou everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi,

I agree with Victor, screws have less impact on the ceilings below the joist, take care regardless of which fixing you decide to use, there may be pipes or cables close to the surface or checked into the joist.

Pete, do you recommend buying one of those pipe/wire detectors - are they any good? Or is it better to lift the boards and have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Excuse me if I cut in here but those detector thingies are worth their weight in gold for everyday DIY especially if you like to add bits and pieces here and there. Don't know how good it would be for what you are asking but a powerful one should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Talcum powder is a natural lubricant and does a good job of preventing the squeak when scattered between the joints..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

mikewest wrote:
    Excuse me if I cut in here but those detector thingies are worth their weight in gold for everyday DIY especially if you like to add bits and pieces here and there. Don't know how good it would be for what you are asking but a powerful one should work.

Cheers, I think I'm gonna buy one and have a go at tackling those creakers. :)

Advertisement