Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring

Options
  • 03-11-2005 6:50pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a standard plasterboard ceiling. Above it there's floorboards then laminate (it was like that when I got here ;)).

Let's say I wanted to add a new light (it's actually a ceiling mount) and run wiring from it to the far end of the room (from center back, to front left). What's the best way to go about this?

Is it handy enough to take the laminate + floorboards up?

Also, is it reasonable to drill holes in the wooden lats to pass the wires through? Or would this ruin their load bearing ability?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

it's hard to tell without knowing how the boards and/or the laminate is put down... if it's glued, then it might be a bit of a job :)

if its click fit laminate, then it might be a lot easier. there are others here that will advise better than i can on this part of the question...

... in terms of drilling holes, i presume you mean in the joists... there are regulations covering this. you need to check this out, but basically they specify all the relevant parameters... like any hole should be more than 50mm from the top of the joist, diameter not bigger than 20% of the height of the joist, located not more than 40% and not less than 25% of the span from a support, etc. there are issues regarding multiple holes, and notches are treated differently to holes. and this all assumes that the joists are to the current building regs standards.

as i said check it out... above is just FYI, and i'm going from memory so the figures could be wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

patrido wrote:
    ... in terms of drilling holes, i presume you mean in the joists...

Heh. Yes. That's it. Couldn't remember the flippin' word.

Thanks for the info. I'll go digging on that. Not sure if the laminate is glued or not. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of lining underneath it because it's very quiet to walk on compared to just floorboards.

I thought it might be a bit of a nightmare if they were running perpendicular to the floorboards allright. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are.

Would it be easier to just chisel out a path along the ceiling and then just fill that in with plaster? It's stippled, so I think hiding it would be /relatively/ easy, even for a novice like myself. It would probably make the whole thing very messy though. I can just see plaster dust going everywhere.

Advertisement