Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get planning permission?

Options
  • 03-11-2005 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is looking a buying a site just outside of dublin in an area that is zoned for "recreational use and open spaces", or something like that. It is supposed to be "open for consideration" for residential purposes. He will obviously be seeking professional advice and contacting the local planning office but just as a prelim enquiry I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has advice to pass on.

He is looking for info regarding if it is possible to get permission for a one-off house on that type of land or is it a non starter? Presumably if it was easy to get permission, the owner would have already applied and would be selling it with FPP.

Does anyone have experience of this? My thoughts on it were that local authorities were moving away from one off housing but I presume there are exceptions or are brown-paper envelopes involved :D (or is that a thing of the past)

appreciate any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't see it being agreed to unless he is planning on becoming a farmer or somesuch. He could get planning in a village.

If he is going to buy, make sure it is subject to PP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

homeOwner wrote:
    "recreational use and open spaces",

forget it, tbh...not worth the time or grief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

He called the local authority and was told (informally) that it will be at least 3-5 years before they will even consider one off housing in the area. They want all the housing developments in the area to be built first and then they will re-asses the rest of the land.

Bummer.

Advertisement