Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!, Java Wireless and J2ME on PocketPC (StrongArm architecture)?

Options
  • 23-09-2001 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I don't know any wireless, Java embedded developers on these boards, but notbody seems to be able to answer my questions elsewhere . Tis all a bit new, I know, but surely someone else is doing similar!

Right I am writing a wireless client (to a much larger enterprise sys), using J2ME on an Ipaq Pocket PC. Those of you that are farmiliar with J2ME will know about the API's CLDC and MIDP.

Those of you that don't
    CLDC: is the foundation API that is used across all the J2ME supporting devices.
    MIDP: sits on top of CLDC and comes it different device specific versions, that can take advantage of various device capabilities. This would be obvious when you consider a Midlet running on a mobile's and one running a colour touch screen PDA!.

The J2ME wireless toolkit from Sun has varous emulators to test Midlets that run on various devices, but nothing for the Ipaq. More importantly I cannot locate a MIDP API for anything other than Palm. I know they exist because I have seen people online boasting Java ware that they have written for their Ipaq.

Would you believe I even mailed Compaq about a month ago, asking several Q's relating J2ME and their device, and heard nothing back. That kinda pi$$ed me off :mad:

Anyway I would appreciate if someone could help me in my search, because I know there are ppl out there doing similar, and that it can be done.

Cheers,

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by phobos
    The J2ME wireless toolkit from Sun has varous emulators to test Midlets that run on various devices, but nothing for the Ipaq. More importantly I cannot locate a MIDP API for anything other than Palm. I know they exist because I have seen people online boasting Java ware that they have written for their Ipaq.

Last time I looked, there was a CE emulator available from M$ that you can download. It's a fairly bulky download (c. 100 Mb) and is generic, but should have the correct CE version. After that you should be able to install the neccessary VM, etc. to test your app.

I'm afraid I don't have a url for the download, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find. I'll take a quick look for it later and see if I can find it.

If you're developing in Java for the Ipaq, you should also take a look at Waba and SuperWaba.

Hope this helps.

Here's the URL:
    Microsoft PPC SDK
    ...and it's only 50Mb in size :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I am trying to keep away from the M$ stuff for my FY project. So I am after finding the PersonalJava runtime env. for WinCE 2.11 or higher (I'm running 3.0)

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/personaljava/

I downloaded it to the device and it installed in about 2secs. But my only problem is that it runs from the command line, and I don't know how to access the command line from the device. I know I read it on some board before, but I cant remember where.

Thanks for the info anyway. Of course if you or anyone else can keep passing on the links or info, I will greatly appreciate it. I will also will continue to post anything I find useful to this thread.

;-phobos-)

Sorted!

For the Ipaq I got my hands on the PersonalJava JDK and JRE. That works perfect on my Ipaq. I have managed to write all my GUI interfaces using AWT (not Swing of course, but that's not really a problem).

The college are getting me kitted out with a Wireless Server (or access point), and a wireless NIC for my Ipaq (sweeet). After that tis plain ol TCP/IP for me, and my high level Java protocols. The second I get that hardware I will be able to test some RMI stuff for a start, and maybe a HTTP connection. But then again, as things go, I will probably be posting around Christmas wondering where my wireless h/w is!.

Anyone setup a wireless server, and wNIC client. I would love if someone could give me some info or recommendations. Or how exactly I am to go about setting it up. The client NIC for the Ipaq shouldn't be a problem. But right now, I can only imagine a wireless server is a normal server with a tranceiver on it (eh?)

;-phobos-)

Originally posted by phobos
    But right now, I can only imagine a wireless server is a normal server with a tranceiver on it (eh?)

Depends on what you mean by a wireless server - every wireless platform/protocol has what it calls a wireless server.

Probably would require some extra tweaking, such as custom MIME types.

• Advertisement

Now I am talking about the actual hardware itself. I don't know a hell of a lot about hardware (coz I'm not that interested in it, as I probably should be). But let's take for example the following products from Compaq

http://www.compaq.ie/products/wireless/range.stm

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I am going in to talk to some professionals about it tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully all will be well by then.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

U can have an Access Point as a server or just a laptop with a card in it or even another iPaq. IEEE802.11b is what IrishWan.org members will be using to communicate.

What I am going to do is get a Wireless NIC for the PC and do a peer-to-peer between that and the Ipaq. That PC will become a router, between a wireless network and the college intranet.

That seems to be the most economical sollution anyway.

;-phobos-)

Advertisement