Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Sharing winXP

Options
  • 03-11-2005 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a couple of winXP Pro computers networked together. I have a folder on comp1 that I want to share out to comp2 and comp3 and have setup permissions accordingly. However, this folder contains numerous sub-directories and there is one I want to restrict access to from comp2.

I have setup the sub-directory with permissions to deny comp2 access, but it still gets access to it.

Any ideas?

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

(Chances are,I'm wrong but..) You're thinking/looking at NTFS File/Folder permissions , but what you're actually dealing with when networking is share permissions; which can be granted at folder level only i.e. The share permissions apply to any files or subfolders within the share.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make sure the drive is NTFS., FAT has NO security

also use the command prompt CACLS to see the permissions on a file

I usually turn off the inherit option for reasons like this, I prefer to set permissions rather than hoping the root isn't the everyone:full control default

best to setup another folder so the one you don't want them to see is not a sub folder - idiot proofing in case you have to restore or reinstall

BTW: are you doing it by Username ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

if by Username\comp - try judging changes by Effective permissions (it's generally handier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

make sure the drive is NTFS., FAT has NO security

also use the command prompt CACLS to see the permissions on a file

I usually turn off the inherit option for reasons like this, I prefer to set permissions rather than hoping the root isn't the everyone:full control default

best to setup another folder so the one you don't want them to see is not a sub folder - idiot proofing in case you have to restore or reinstall

BTW: are you doing it by Username ?

The drive is NTFS. I am setting permissions by username. The only problem I have is that I really need the restricted folder to be a sub-folder. Is there no way to block the inherited permissions onto sub-folders?

Advertisement